News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thatcherism 40 years On.

Started by mongers, May 09, 2019, 07:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

This week sees the 40th anniversary of Mrs Thatchers May 1979 election win.

So what do you think,  has it meant wins across the board, been a poison chalice or a curate's egg?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

That the opposition party essentially adopted most of it speaks volumes about the benefits. 

Eddie Teach

It's definitely been a curate's egg, whatever that is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Oexmelin

Quote from: Monoriu on May 09, 2019, 07:56:21 PM
That the opposition party essentially adopted most of it speaks volumes about the benefits.

For whom?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 09, 2019, 09:43:42 PM

For whom?

For the country. 

Duque de Bragança

I am waiting for Tyr's elaborate answer. :)

Grinning_Colossus

Poison chalice leading to the financialization of the economy, the atomization of society, and the immiseration of the Britons.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Richard Hakluyt

There are some nice restaurants now.

It reminds me of the story of Esau; we have lost so much for our bowl of pottage.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 09, 2019, 09:43:42 PM

For whom?

Tamas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

The UK was the 5th biggest economy until the referendum and despite what people with their heads still up the Empire's arse might think that doesn't come as default to any country.

What she seems to be blamed for, ie de-industrialisation and the decline of no-skill jobs has happened everywhere around the world, so thinking that without her things would be like the 60s just with today's standards of living is silly.

Now I don't know if she could had handled the disadvantaged regions better. But to me it seems quite clear she left a stronger Britain than what she took over.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2019, 09:36:44 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 09, 2019, 09:35:12 PM
It's definitely been a curate's egg, whatever that is.

+1

Odd, first google result says "A curate's egg is an idiom that is not well-known outside of Britain." 

I'd wrongly assumed most Americans would have heard of it.   :bowler:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grinning_Colossus

For those not in the know:

A curate is an Anglican priest, and the egg is a golden egg--normally the most valuable item in an English village. Curates would hide their eggs where no one could find them, but if someone ever did find them then he would become the new priest and the curate would become the village dungmaker, living with the sows. Hence, a curate's egg is something transformative and valuable.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

crazy canuck

So an apt analogy for Thatcher's legacy.  Obviously transformative but not beneficial for all involved.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2019, 07:58:08 AM
So an apt analogy for Thatcher's legacy.  Obviously transformative but not beneficial for all involved.

How is the English North different from the fate of the US regions which relied on industry that stopped being feasible to maintain there? I don't know the details so I am not saying everything was handled well but once again, it always seemed to me like what Thatcher got blamed for was accepting global realities and tapping into them instead of tilting at them like if they were windmills.