Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

Started by Syt, April 11, 2019, 04:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2019, 09:37:22 AM
Why did it take so long? I reversed my opinion of her between when McCain announced her as a pick and her first speech as VP pick.

I think throughout the 2008 election period I thought the media was fairly ridiculous in how they covered Palin.  It was clear she wasn't a polished politician, but she had an undeniable charisma also.

She lost me after the election.  First when she resigned as Governor of Alaska without even completing her first term, then as she started endorsing all kinds of right-wing  quackery like birtherism.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Part of the charges is that he criminally concealed that Manning was his souce? And that he asked for more documents?  :hmm:

At this rate they'll turn Assange into a martyr for press freedom.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on April 11, 2019, 12:07:07 PM
Part of the charges is that he criminally concealed that Manning was his souce? And that he asked for more documents?  :hmm:

He very well could have been. That ship sailed long ago though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2019, 10:01:46 AM

BTW we need one of the German posters to post about this AFD politican scandal. Apparently one of their MP got busted being on Russian payroll/influence. He is tied with a lots of ties to a Polish and Hungarian MP who are on Russian payroll as well.

Wot's all this then?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

It's a conspiracy charge.  The underlying crime is unauthorized access to a protected computer.  Because it is a conspiracy charge, you need to allege an agreement and common purpose among the conspirators.  The concealment of names etc. goes to state of mind on the conspirators.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2019, 11:08:24 AM
Why did it take so long? I reversed my opinion of her between when McCain announced her as a pick and her first speech as VP pick.

I think throughout the 2008 election period I thought the media was fairly ridiculous in how they covered Palin.  It was clear she wasn't a polished politician, but she had an undeniable charisma also.

She lost me after the election.  First when she resigned as Governor of Alaska without even completing her first term, then as she started endorsing all kinds of right-wing  quackery like birtherism.

I know you are a true believer when it comes to all things conservative, but it is quite a revelation that she lost you only after the election.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2019, 04:31:26 PM

I know you are a true believer when it comes to all things conservative, but it is quite a revelation that she lost you only after the election.

It became clear she wasn't that well educated on the issues, but I figured she'd still do just fine as Veep - go out make some speeches, show the flag, that kind of thing.

As mentioned, it was attaching herself to all kinds of dubious right wing quackers that turned me off.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 11, 2019, 02:31:16 PM

It's a conspiracy charge.  The underlying crime is unauthorized access to a protected computer.  Because it is a conspiracy charge, you need to allege an agreement and common purpose among the conspirators.  The concealment of names etc. goes to state of mind on the conspirators.

Yeah, if they can show that Assange aided or encouraged the crime, he's in trouble.  If he just received the fruits of the crime later and hide the source, I don't see how that's conspiracy. 

I thought the NYT case involving the Pentagon Papers established this, but it turns out the government misconduct caused the case to be thrown out, so it isn't the precedent I thought it was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2019, 12:21:42 PM

He very well could have been. That ship sailed long ago though.

That's largely why so many people supported him initially--they thought he was indeed a champion of freedom of speech and the press.

Josephus

So maybe the media, as usual, was right to malign her.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

I don't know.  Mr Assange went into the embassy to escape prison.  Yet he locked himself up for seven years, and still have to face criminal prosecution.  It is almost like he added seven years to his prison sentence. 

Tamas

Awww, good old Corbyn. He and his Shadow Home Secretary are in full Defend Assange The Hero mode.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Valmy

Kind of embarrassing that was the reason they refused extradition but it is not like it is untrue that our prisons are inhumane.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."