Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

Started by Syt, April 11, 2019, 04:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2019, 08:37:20 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 11, 2019, 08:30:36 AM
Womp womp

Actually, isn't he supposed to be a good guy now from your side's point of view? He has never smeared Russia even once, actively helped Russian efforts to hinder Clinton, and in general was hell-bent on causing as much trouble to pre-Trump USA as possible.

Of course, Assange was also on good terms with Chelsea Manning.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I thought Assange and Wikileaks were sincere at one point. I was a moron.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2019, 09:38:27 AM
Womp womp

Actually, isn't he supposed to be a good guy now from your side's point of view? He has never smeared Russia even once, actively helped Russian efforts to hinder Clinton, and in general was hell-bent on causing as much trouble to pre-Trump USA as possible.

Of course, Assange was also on good terms with Chelsea Manning.

It's a beautiful friendship.

BTW we need one of the German posters to post about this AFD politican scandal. Apparently one of their MP got busted being on Russian payroll/influence. He is tied with a lots of ties to a Polish and Hungarian MP who are on Russian payroll as well.

Habbaku

Does someone have a good breakdown somewhere of why I should like or hate him? I haven't paid much attention to this story over the years.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on April 11, 2019, 10:01:53 AM
Does someone have a good breakdown somewhere of why I should like or hate him? I haven't paid much attention to this story over the years.

It's much easier if you just blindly follow me, and dislike him.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on April 11, 2019, 10:01:53 AM

Here's the guardian summary of the last 7 years: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/apr/11/how-ecuador-lost-patience-with-houseguest-julian-assange

The Minsky Moment

Assange's asylum was Correa's idea, as part of his (left) populist agenda of anti-western posturing.  His successor, notwithstanding his first name, is more pragmatic and understandably viewed Assange as an annoyance, an embarrassment, and an inconvenience.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

The separatist-led Catalan government has been quick to condemn the arrest, so I guess that's as much confirmation as I needed that he's a cunt.

But well, it's been obvious for a few years that he's a pawn of illiberal forces.

Valmy

He is supposed to be for transparency and freedom of information but goes out of his way to defend totalitarian regimes and hide all damaging information not about his targets. He is the opposite of what he presents himself as.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2019, 09:37:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2019, 09:33:20 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2019, 09:08:44 AM
Womp womp

Sarah Palin called him a traitor ( I don't think she knows what that word meant), and then claimed that Assange is "all about freedom".  It's weird, but conservatives have reversed themselves on a bunch of people in the Trump era.  Like Putin and Kim Jong Un.

Well that's quite a coincidence, since I've reversed myself on Sarah Palin over the same time period.

Why did it take so long? I reversed my opinion of her between when McCain announced her as a pick and her first speech as VP pick.

Her speech was fine, it was her interviews that were a disaster.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?