News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

April in Toronto

Started by Savonarola, April 01, 2019, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

It was a lot of fun guys; thanks again.

Right now we're on the bid phase of this project; even the bid is expected to be a large undertaking.  Metrolinx is moving from antiquated1. technology to an Automatic Train Control System.  It's so large and so complicated that we've been trying to hire an engineer for this alone.  We're looking for an expert on either network communications or radio communications with some experience in the other discipline, who also has familiarity with systems engineering, bids and the rail industry.  Oh, and we're not going to pay for a relocation.  :frusty:  So, until we find this unicorn, I and my counterpart on the network side will have to handle this; consequently I expect to visit Toronto many more times.

1.)  In fact one of the stations to be replaced is being turned into a museum.  It was built in 1919 and still uses the "Pistol grip" hand thrown switches from the era.  Our bid manager on the business side is something of an enthusiast for this sort of thing; he told us that it's the same mechanism they used to shut the doors at Alcatraz.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I'll be back in Toronto the last week in February (out by Pearson again).  I should be available Thursday, February 27; is anyone up for an IRL meeting?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on February 06, 2020, 05:32:00 PM
I'll be back in Toronto the last week in February (out by Pearson again).  I should be available Thursday, February 27; is anyone up for an IRL meeting?

Visiting Toronto ... in February? Someone at head office really dislikes you.  :lol:

I'm up for a Toronto meet.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2020, 05:33:47 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 06, 2020, 05:32:00 PM

Visiting Toronto ... in February? Someone at head office really dislikes you.  :lol:

Could be worst.  He could have been sent to Newfoundland.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

Sure. Anything particular you want to do this time? Also we should check out the Geek theme bar (Stormcrow, it's on Upper Church).
humans were created in their own image

HVC

I might be in sask for work, don't know yet.

*edit* wait, that might be misconstrued. I'll be in Saskatchewan, to be clear :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2020, 05:33:47 PM

Heh, it's for an internal meeting and our team is from all over North America; so there's no good reason to meet in Toronto.  I would have thought someone from our Toronto or Rochester offices would have made the case that the conference rooms in Florida are much more suited for February meetings.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2020, 06:49:43 PM
Could be worst.  He could have been sent to Newfoundland.

Now that you mention it; I've never even seen a bid request from the maritimes.  :unsure:

Savonarola

Quote from: saskganesh on February 07, 2020, 01:25:24 AM
Sure. Anything particular you want to do this time? Also we should check out the Geek theme bar (Stormcrow, it's on Upper Church).

Probably not death marching this time.   ;)

Like last time; I probably won't be able to make it downtown before 6.  A geek themed bar sounds like fun.

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on February 07, 2020, 11:08:58 AM
I might be in sask for work, don't know yet.

*edit* wait, that might be misconstrued. I'll be in Saskatchewan, to be clear :lol:

Heh, okay, hope you can make it.

saskganesh

Quote from: Savonarola on February 07, 2020, 11:55:03 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on February 07, 2020, 01:25:24 AM

Probably not death marching this time.   ;)

Like last time; I probably won't be able to make it downtown before 6.  A geek themed bar sounds like fun.

bump

https://www.stormcrow.com/

Savonarola

That looks great.   :)

Thursday the 27th at 6:00 still looks like it will work for me. 

saskganesh

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius