Who should the democrats pick to run against Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2019, 06:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should the democrats nominate to run against Trump?

Joe Biden
5 (12.2%)
Bernie Sanders
9 (22%)
Kamala Harris
5 (12.2%)
Beto O'Rourke
3 (7.3%)
Elizabeth Warren
4 (9.8%)
Amy Klobuchar
3 (7.3%)
Kirsten Gillibrand
0 (0%)
Cory Booker
2 (4.9%)
Pete Buttigieg
5 (12.2%)
Other
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

derspiess

She also seems to think the US is sponsoring a coup in Venezuela.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2019, 01:43:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 01:41:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2019, 01:27:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 01:14:40 PM
I cast my non american non binding, entirely meaningless, vote for Warren to be the Democratic candidate.

A very smart policy wonk as President is what the US and the world needs now.

Do take note the question isn't who do you think should be president but rather who should the Dems nominate.

Right, and I have some hope the US system will become sane again.

The system has always been sane. It is just the damn voters that ruin it!

Well, if one were to use that distinction your system is pretty nuts.  50 different electoral systems, an electoral college and people don't lose their elected positions if they fail to pass a budget.  All in all the system could definitely use improvement.

Admiral Yi

Tulsi Doom has no chance.  Her youthful participation in her father's homo deprogramming guarantees that.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2019, 03:57:40 PM
Tulsi Doom has no chance.  Her youthful participation in her father's homo deprogramming guarantees that.

She said she has changed!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Tulsi Doom has no chance. 

:thumbsup:

Maybe she'd have more chances if her name was indeed Tulsi Doom.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Sanders would be great, and it's true he is only as old as trump.... But trump is a walking corpse.
That being said sanders wouldn't take trumps bs. Those "debates" would be fun to see.

I don't follow American politics in too much detail but I guess there is no suitable like sanders but middle aged figure?
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on April 01, 2019, 12:14:46 PM
He impressed me, though he has the "polished politician" a little too down pat. Should he win the nomination, I wouldn't be upset.

Having a polished politician would be a nice change of pace. :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2019, 01:45:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2019, 01:43:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2019, 01:27:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 01:14:40 PM
I cast my non american non binding, entirely meaningless, vote for Warren to be the Democratic candidate.

A very smart policy wonk as President is what the US and the world needs now.

Do take note the question isn't who do you think should be president but rather who should the Dems nominate.

I don't see the distinction.  The question isn't who will win - it's "who should they pick".  I think it calls for an assessment of personal preference.

I guess it depends on what one thinks 'should' should mean.

Well, yeah.  Does it mean that I think the Dems should nominate candidate X because candidate X would make the best President, or does it mean that they should nominate candidate Y because candidate Y would have the best chance of beating Trump?  If the former, well, Biden has a pretty good record of supporting free trade polices, so I'd be inclined to say Biden, though I admit I'm not sure where some of them stand on the issue.  OTOH, if the latter, I have to admit I don't know--my record on trying to guess how the electorate will vote isn't very good, but I'm guessing someone younger than Biden better relate to younger voters (though a lot of Bernie's 2016 support came from younger voters, so maybe not).

Zoupa

Quote from: Legbiter on April 01, 2019, 10:45:26 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2019, 09:43:55 AM
No idea to be frank. Half of the people on the list are complete unknowns to me. I need pictures.

Yeah.

Imagining a side-by-side matchup in 2020, my first impression is Biden would be the easiest one for Trump to beat if everything stays the same. But it's such a long way off and God knows what will happen in the meantime.

Biden would be one of the hardest for Trump to beat. What are you smoking.

Zoupa

derspiess

Biden would be the only one to give Trump a run for his money in the "creepy old man" category, that's for sure.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 01, 2019, 06:35:26 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 01, 2019, 12:14:46 PM
He impressed me, though he has the "polished politician" a little too down pat. Should he win the nomination, I wouldn't be upset.

Having a polished politician would be a nice change of pace. :)

I said that I wouldn't be upset if he won. :contract:

But I like Buttigieg's more laid-back style. He clearly has done more in his life than just public office. Castro is literally a career politician. I'd be happy to see someone with a more varied background.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

This is the first time I've heard Buttgeig's name.

Quite the name.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 01, 2019, 05:01:00 PM
Tulsi Doom has no chance. 

:thumbsup:

Maybe she'd have more chances if her name was indeed Tulsi Doom.

That's indeed one of the best Yi nicknames.