Who should the democrats pick to run against Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2019, 06:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should the democrats nominate to run against Trump?

Joe Biden
5 (12.2%)
Bernie Sanders
9 (22%)
Kamala Harris
5 (12.2%)
Beto O'Rourke
3 (7.3%)
Elizabeth Warren
4 (9.8%)
Amy Klobuchar
3 (7.3%)
Kirsten Gillibrand
0 (0%)
Cory Booker
2 (4.9%)
Pete Buttigieg
5 (12.2%)
Other
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2019, 09:43:55 AM
No idea to be frank. Half of the people on the list are complete unknowns to me. I need pictures.

Yeah.

Imagining a side-by-side matchup in 2020, my first impression is Biden would be the easiest one for Trump to beat if everything stays the same. But it's such a long way off and God knows what will happen in the meantime.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

Not decided but I would include Julian Castro on the list.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 01, 2019, 06:15:56 AM
Who should it be?
I don't know most of their policies.  The New York Times has run various profiles of these people, so has the Washington Post, but that's about all I know of these people.

Anyway, it's not like I would vote for anybody on this list :P

I'd say, whomever can oust Trump from office is the best choice. ;)  I really don't like Sanders though.  He looks like some version of Donald Trump, albeit less of a moron in public, but too many hidden skeletons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 01, 2019, 11:18:03 AM
Not decided but I would include Julian Castro on the list.

He came to Portland and we went to see him a few weeks ago.

He impressed me, though he has the "polished politician" a little too down pat. Should he win the nomination, I wouldn't be upset.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

My preferences:

1. Harris
2. Warren
3. Buttigieg
4. Castro
5. Gabbard
6. Gillibrand
7. Hickenlooper
8. O'Rourke
9. The rest

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2019, 09:43:55 AM
No idea to be frank. Half of the people on the list are complete unknowns to me. I need pictures.

Here you go. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2019, 11:32:32 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 01, 2019, 06:15:56 AM
Who should it be?
I don't know most of their policies.  The New York Times has run various profiles of these people, so has the Washington Post, but that's about all I know of these people.

Anyway, it's not like I would vote for anybody on this list :P

I'd say, whomever can oust Trump from office is the best choice. ;)  I really don't like Sanders though.  He looks like some version of Donald Trump, albeit less of a moron in public, but too many hidden skeletons.

Do all Anglos look the same to you? :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on April 01, 2019, 12:18:33 PM
My preferences:

1. Harris
2. Warren
3. Buttigieg
4. Castro
5. Gabbard
6. Gillibrand
7. Hickenlooper
8. O'Rourke
9. The rest

Yeah I am very concerned about the impact this might have on Beto's future chances. Getting crushed in this primary might derail a promising career. We need him and his centrist message here in Texas to lead us to victory, not going out to a national audience which doesn't want nor particularly need him. Maybe I am wrong but I am worried.

I mean I suppose this might be a play for a Vice Presidential nomination. But how often does somebody with no current office get chosen?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on April 01, 2019, 10:45:26 AM
my first impression is Biden would be the easiest one for Trump to beat if everything stays the same.

So you therefore think that he should be picked so that can happen? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on April 01, 2019, 12:18:33 PM
My preferences:

1. Harris
2. Warren
3. Buttigieg
4. Castro
5. Gabbard
6. Gillibrand
7. Hickenlooper
8. O'Rourke
9. The rest

I've kind f been pulling for Booker, though I'm uncertain about that choice.  The fact you didn't rank him makes me feel a bit better. :P :hug:

Although Kamala Harris wouldn't be the worst choice in the world. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

I have no clue what the Democrats support. At this point, it doesn't really matter. Short of Warren, I'd vote for just about any of them over Trump, and I'd squint real hard and make myself vote for Warren, too, probably.

Whichever of them is for free trade, responsible long-term spending and taxation, and not being an inhuman fucking monster, I'm okay with.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on April 01, 2019, 01:04:52 PM
Whichever of them is for free trade, responsible long-term spending and taxation, and not being an inhuman fucking monster, I'm okay with.

Yes. Though unfortunately I think those things are losers in a primary in either party.

crazy canuck

I cast my non american non binding, entirely meaningless, vote for Warren to be the Democratic candidate.

A very smart policy wonk as President is what the US and the world needs now.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 01:14:40 PM
I cast my non american non binding, entirely meaningless, vote for Warren to be the Democratic candidate.

Do take note the question isn't who do you think should be president but rather who should the Dems nominate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2019, 01:27:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 01:14:40 PM

Do take note the question isn't who do you think should be president but rather who should the Dems nominate.

Right, and I have some hope the US system will become sane again.