The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: saskganesh on February 04, 2022, 11:22:10 PM
There is likely a large market for hobbit tits.

Had a look at Smashwords, because they're known cater to an eclectic range of interests, but there seem to be surprisingly few Hobbit/Halfling themed erotica titles. There seems to be a "Horny Halfling" lesbian series of ... short stories, I guess? The word counts of each title are between 6000 and 7000.

Maybe an underexploited niche?  :hmm:

Tons of incest and bestiality stuff, though, by the looks of it, and often combined into one story. Oh my.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Damn Larch and Grumbler, you guys know your lore!  :cheers:

I don't have a copy of the Silmarillion anymore but you have me motivated to download a copy and get to reading  :)

Sophie Scholl

The Istari didn't come to Middle Earth till 1000 years into the Third Age, so I'd say they're off the table as the series seems to be focused on the Second Age.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 05, 2022, 05:26:05 PM
The Istari didn't come to Middle Earth till 1000 years into the Third Age, so I'd say they're off the table as the series seems to be focused on the Second Age.

There are two stories about the arrival of the Blue Wizards.  In Unfinished Tales, they arrive about TA 1000.  In The peoples of Middle Earth they arrive about SA 1600.  Christopher Tolkien was unable to determine which story his father had decided on (if he had, indeed, decided on either). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Quote from: grumbler on February 05, 2022, 08:26:25 PM

There are two stories about the arrival of the Blue Wizards.  In Unfinished Tales, they arrive about TA 1000.  In The peoples of Middle Earth they arrive about SA 1600.  Christopher Tolkien was unable to determine which story his father had decided on (if he had, indeed, decided on either).

I thought it was only the blue ones that possibly came earlier. Would also be a good creative choice for the show, then they don't have to compete with Jackson's istaris.

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on February 06, 2022, 02:52:31 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 05, 2022, 08:26:25 PM

I thought it was only the blue ones that possibly came earlier. Would also be a good creative choice for the show, then they don't have to compete with Jackson's istaris.

Yes, as I said, the arrival of the Blue Wizards is in contention.  It is unclear in PoME whether or not the other three Istari came at the same time or later.  Tolkien always had the idea that Gandalf came at the same time as Saruman and Radagast, but not necessarily the Blue Wizards (who were friends and came together).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Ahh, sorry, I missed the word blue in your text.

Admiral Yi

Jeez, I can't remember a single thing I read in the Silmarillion and youse guys have it memorized. :nerd:

Threviel

Silmarillion was my bible in my teens, I've probably read most of it 50 times or so. It was my huge nerd thing I wasted my youth on.

Never could get into Unfinished tales or the even more obscure stuff and I haven't really read any of it (except Bilbo an LotR of course) since I turned 18 or so. It's more or less the only classic nerd thing that I still have somewhat of a passion for.

grumbler

For me it's more The History of Middle Earth than the Silmarillion (Isn't it cool that the spell check knows how to spell "Silmarillion?").  Lots of interesting stuff there.  For instance, Strider was a hobbit for most of the writing process, only becoming Isuldur's heir fairly late.  Also, early on Tolkien was much more open about his idea that Middle Earth was our world a long time ago.

Bayraktar!

Threviel

I had the same thought in Silmarillion.  :lol:

The books I read was not only Silmarillion, there were three companion books of which Silmarillion was one. One of them was the appendix and some other texts on the second and third age and one other was more text. One of the also contained a poem on Beorthnoth and some story about leafs.

Recently, with the nitpicking blog and some other analysis I've read, I've gotten a whole new respect for Tolkien. The man knew his shit well and his work, huge as it is, is surprisingly consequent and holds up well to review. Still light years ahead of any other fantasy writer I know of.

Jacob

Yeah, Tolkien is probably one of the reasons I don't read much fantasy honestly - it's just not good enough in comparison.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2022, 01:58:55 PM
Yeah, Tolkien is probably one of the reasons I don't read much fantasy honestly - it's just not good enough in comparison.

I think the problem is that far too many try to emulate (copy) his work.  Any reproduction is bound to be pale by comparison.  But every once in a while someone tries to do something original.  Martin is a good example, and one of my favs Guy Gavriel Kay.

By the way, Kay was actually on a high school basketball team and was a bench warmer (one of my partners was on the same team).  That little tidbit will be a bit more meaningful for people who read his early novels.  :)

The Brain

The problem with Tolkien is that almost all his characters are cardboard cutouts. I still love his stuff, but damn.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2022, 02:12:45 PM
I think the problem is that far too many try to emulate (copy) his work.  Any reproduction is bound to be pale by comparison.  But every once in a while someone tries to do something original.  Martin is a good example, and one of my favs Guy Gavriel Kay.

By the way, Kay was actually on a high school basketball team and was a bench warmer (one of my partners was on the same team).  That little tidbit will be a bit more meaningful for people who read his early novels.  :)

Yeah, Kay is someone I read and enjoy as well.