The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on September 12, 2022, 11:55:50 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 12, 2022, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2022, 10:34:34 AMWhy are the dwarves Scottish? :huh:
Because of this.

:huh:
What's the connection between dwarves and the redcap?

None, as I understand it.

I think the Scottish thing is a stereotype from RPGs (table top and videogames) where Dwarves. Affecting a shitty Scottish accent for Dwarf characters has been a tabletop stereotype for decades.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2022, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2022, 10:34:34 AMWhy are the dwarves Scottish? :huh:
Because of this.

I think the Scottish thing is a stereotype from RPGs (table top and videogames) where Dwarves. Affecting a shitty Scottish accent for Dwarf characters has been a tabletop stereotype for decades.

Funnily whilst watching this yesterday I commented on this same thing. Why do dwarves always have to be Scottish. Really curious where it sprung from. Given a lack of early fantasy film I don't think we can blame a treasure island style one actor set the rule trope

Surely as industrial miner types geordie would be more suitable.
Or if they're singing dwarves, as they are in tolkein, Welsh. :p
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

It is because they are greedy for gold like Andrew Carnegie and Scrooge McDuck. Oh and I guess a love of large two handed weapons.

And heavy drinking though I guess they kind of share that with all British people of any variety.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2022, 05:36:30 PM
Because of this.

In some D&D lite novel the Redcaps were Scottish.  Or had Scottish accents.
PDH!

Solmyr

Tolkien dwarves should really be Jewish. Would love to hear them pepper their speech with Yiddish words and claim it's Khuzdul. :Joos

Darth Wagtaros

I think it was RA Salvatore who established Dwarves were Scottish.

PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 13, 2022, 01:36:03 PMI think it was RA Salvatore who established Dwarves were Scottish.

Bruenor MacBattlehammer
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Do the people in the show speak the correct Tolkien languages at least? Tolkien spent decades designing languages, if the show doesn't use them then that's a big fuck you to the dude.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Humble Bundle has a collection of Tolkien related books for sale. The bundle includes Tolkien and the Great War, which I've been eyeing for a while and was the only reason I picked it up, but some of the others there looked interesting.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Episode 3.

1: where did halbrand get all that money?

2: so many pointless gratuitous scenes to show off the budget.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

What money? When? where?  Refresh my memory, please.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2022, 06:32:31 PMWhat money? When? where?  Refresh my memory, please.

Rejected from a job at a short guys Smith he's in a pub and winds up some guild members then says sorry and announces drinks on me for the whole pub (as a ploy to steal a guild badge)
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on September 27, 2022, 04:46:58 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2022, 06:32:31 PMWhat money? When? where?  Refresh my memory, please.

Rejected from a job at a short guys Smith he's in a pub and winds up some guild members then says sorry and announces drinks on me for the whole pub (as a ploy to steal a guild badge)

I presumed he'd stolen that money.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on September 27, 2022, 04:46:58 AM

Ah, yes, same as Celedh.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

It's slowly growing on me.

If it had been trailed as "based on Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' ", maybe some of the criticism wouldn't have happened?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"