The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on February 03, 2022, 06:49:12 PM
I thought that might be Isildur, with the broken Narsil in hand.

Possibly, since that does look like a broken sword, but Isildur had little or nothing to do with the Rings of Power.  He wasn't born until 1500 years after the death of Celebrimbor.

QuoteThere are several non regal looking characters featured, I wonder who they might be:

(snip)

Every saga needs spear carriers.  I suspect that Radagast is the first one, but the second is wearing a ring, which should be significant.  The rest?  Who knows?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2022, 07:55:22 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 03, 2022, 06:49:12 PM
I thought that might be Isildur, with the broken Narsil in hand.

Possibly, since that does look like a broken sword, but Isildur had little or nothing to do with the Rings of Power.  He wasn't born until 1500 years after the death of Celebrimbor.

The show is going to cover the whole Second Age, not just the forging of the Rings. It'll also feature the rise of Sauron, the story of Numenor and the last alliance of Elves and Men, according to the showrunners. Thus, I'd say that Isildur is a fair bet for that particular one.

Another of the pics is clearly Sauron:

Jacob

I expect some of the ring wearer depicted include some of the nine men who eventually became the Nazgul.

HVC

Isn't that a very long time frame?  How many seasons are planned?  Or are they doing time jumps/multiple timelines.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2022, 08:14:10 PM
I expect some of the ring wearer depicted include some of the nine men who eventually became the Nazgul.

Yeah, several of the pics scream "Generic King #1-9".  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on February 03, 2022, 08:16:50 PM
Isn't that a very long time frame?  How many seasons are planned?  Or are they doing time jumps/multiple timelines.

I read that it's meant to be 5 seasons long, with the first two ones already ordered. The 1st season is going to be 8 episodes long, and I believe that the 2nd season was filmed already, back to back with the first one.

Threviel

The wizards arrived in the third age, so at least Gandalf, Radagast and Saruman are out. There's one comment in Unfinished tales that the blue wizards arrived earlier, possibly around the time of the forging of the rings.

Allatar and Pallando are possible names for them IIRC.

celedhring

When the show comes out I'm probably headcannon somebody in Celebrimbor's entourage as Celedhring  :P (he was a character in a MERP module, former assistant to Celebrimbor and later Sauron toady).

jimmy olsen

Gonna be really hard to do a Gandalf or Saruman that compare to the ones in Jackson's movies.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2022, 04:14:02 AM
Gonna be really hard to do a Gandalf or Saruman that compare to the ones in Jackson's movies.

Yep, it's going to be hard. Particularly because they won't show up in this (or at least, they shouldn't) :P

People are going to have a tough job filling Kate Blanchett's or Hugo Weaving's boots, though.

Threviel

Cirdan was always a favourite of mine, will be fun to see.

Sophie Scholl

I feel like the dark armored picture could be anyone, including a "hero". The Númenórean were all over in this era and black and silver were their go-to colors. The gold armored and ringed figure leans strongly toward Gil-Galad in my opinion and the one with sun motifs might be Anárion as he founded Minas Anor (Tirith). It certainly opens some interesting options with the presented images. I almost think Sauron might be the one in gold with the gold on their hands in their Annatar appearance and aspect.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

saskganesh

This will probably be shit, like GOT/Hobbit shit. They will have a lot of tits too.

There is likely a large market for hobbit tits.

I temporarily hate myself for writing that.

The dice are rolling and this series could very well fail it's saving throw versus suckitude. Who knows? If they have a strong narrative plan and know how to write a long form character-based tragedy of corruption, then it could be great. If they are winging it, season by season, and be focused on the KEWL peeps versus the Bad Guyz, the odds are bad.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Yes, I think everything should be MacBeth, which is why Star Wars sucks. They tried, but could not do it. So they put a Death Star in like every movie to compensate.
humans were created in their own image

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on February 04, 2022, 11:22:10 PM
This will probably be shit, like GOT/Hobbit shit. They will have a lot of tits too.

There is likely a large market for hobbit tits.

I temporarily hate myself for writing that.

You know what was said in the intro to The Hobbit - "it was a Hobbit hole, and that means comfort".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius