The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

So, apparently it's the second age. https://twitter.com/lotronprime

Rumours have it that it will be about the forging of the rings and the fall of Eregion. I still believe that the best story is the fall of Númenor. Perhaps they'll do both.

Admiral Yi

Is that from a paid publicist?  Not really sweeping me off my feet.

Monoriu

My first reaction is this is a remake of the movie trilogy in TV form, but it seems that was not the case. 

After some internet searches, my understanding is that this is more like a distant prequel that takes place even earlier than the Hobbit movies?  So the majority of the cast probably won't be there, except maybe the Elves, Dwarves and wizards. 

I remember, at the beginning of the Fellowship movie, there was a scene about how Sauron was defeated.  Is this somehow an expansion of that scene? 

Eddie Teach

I don't think the dwarves live that long either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on March 10, 2019, 08:34:43 PM
My first reaction is this is a remake of the movie trilogy in TV form, but it seems that was not the case. 

After some internet searches, my understanding is that this is more like a distant prequel that takes place even earlier than the Hobbit movies?  So the majority of the cast probably won't be there, except maybe the Elves, Dwarves and wizards. 

I remember, at the beginning of the Fellowship movie, there was a scene about how Sauron was defeated.  Is this somehow an expansion of that scene?

You're doing it deliberately, aren't you.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2019, 08:52:47 PM

What are you talking about? 

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on March 10, 2019, 08:58:30 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2019, 08:52:47 PM

What are you talking about?

Languish has a lot of Tolkien nerds, I was guessing you were trying to provoke some of them.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Well in that sense, yes.  I love the Lord of the Rings movies and I want to know more about this TV series. 

jimmy olsen

The forging of the rings would be long before that scene.

If they're going to go that deep into the mythology they should just do the war for the jewels in the silmarillion.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 10, 2019, 10:58:33 PM

The forging of the rings would be long before that scene.

If they're going to go that deep into the mythology they should just do the war for the jewels in the silmarillion.
No.  Very, very different stories.  The Lord of the Rings that the general public knows of is very much tied to the story they are presumably making.  The world is roughly the same geographically with only minor changes to the coastlines after Numenor sinks.  Mordor will be the same with Gondor, Rivendell, Lorien, Weathertop, and more locations eventually appearing in one form or another that appear in the films.  Characters seen in the opening to Fellowship will be there in addition to others from the films (Elrond, Gil-Galad, Sauron, Celeborn, Galadriel, Haldir, Tharanduil, with eventually Isildur, Arwen, Elendil, and the living version of the Army of the Dead showing up.  The Silmarillion material outside of the Second Age bits at the end will feature radically different geography, factions, and characters with only Galadriel, Celeborn, Sauron, and eventually Gil-Galad and Elrond showing up.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Can't see a show about the forging of the rings being too exciting unless they get really great writers. That's the kind of stuff better left in a prologue like the movies did.

Although the fact that they might include my namesake in the show has me mildly excited (he was an ICE character so I guess they won't, but hey...)

Threviel

Let's look at the timeline of the second age.

1500-1600 The rings of power are forged and Sauron openly proclaims himself
1693 The war of the elves and Sauron begins
1697 Eregion falls
1700 Númenoreans show up and kick Saurons ass.
1701 White council founded
. Lots of shit where Númenor slowly, very slowly, turns against the elves
3209 Isildur is born
3262 Númenoreans kick Saurons ass again and this time captures him and brings him home
3319 Fall of Númenor, Arnor and Gondor founded
3430 War of the last alliance, the stuff shown in the beginning of Fellowship.

So, to cover both times in one TV series would be like covering Puzur-Ashur I and Sargon II in one TV series.

celedhring

The cheap way of doing it is by fusing both timelines. As in, the Numenoreans capture Sauron in 1700. The backlash among diehard tolkienites would be huge, but I don't think the regular viewers would care.

Monoriu

After reading that timeline, my first reaction is that Sauron seems to lose time after time.  Then I realise that he rises again after each defeat.  Could be interesting to see his perspective.