The deadly truth about a world built for men – from stab vests to car crashes

Started by jimmy olsen, March 04, 2019, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2019, 02:15:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2019, 01:50:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2019, 01:15:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2019, 08:18:20 PM
In a ideal world, I'd be the only one of the few driving a car with unlimited speed limit on the highway :P

The closest you can come to that is in an electric. You get to drive in the bus only lanes past all the traffic sitting at a standstill.  You should act quickly to take advantage because eventually the number of electric cars on the road will hit a critical mass and that benefit will be taken away.
I can't afford a 100 000$ car.  And I'm way too big for the small models.
Besides, traffic is an issue only when I get to Quebec city, and there are no reserved lanes available to electric cars where I need to go.

I bought one that is not called Tesla and I am pretty sure I am significantly larger than you  :P

What do you have CC?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2019, 02:40:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2019, 02:15:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2019, 01:50:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2019, 01:15:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2019, 08:18:20 PM
In a ideal world, I'd be the only one of the few driving a car with unlimited speed limit on the highway :P

The closest you can come to that is in an electric. You get to drive in the bus only lanes past all the traffic sitting at a standstill.  You should act quickly to take advantage because eventually the number of electric cars on the road will hit a critical mass and that benefit will be taken away.
I can't afford a 100 000$ car.  And I'm way too big for the small models.
Besides, traffic is an issue only when I get to Quebec city, and there are no reserved lanes available to electric cars where I need to go.

I bought one that is not called Tesla and I am pretty sure I am significantly larger than you  :P

What do you have CC?

If it's the Chevy Bolt, I'd be interested to know how well extra tall folk fare in one.  :)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 07, 2019, 02:48:24 PM
gigantism?

:lol:

@BB I have a KIA Soul.  It is by far the most roomy in its class.

@Tronitrus

I can't fit in the Bolt, Leaf or the mid size Tesla.  The BMW i3 is also very tight.

Tonitrus

I've got a Kia Soul over here too(though a diesel)...probably the roomiest small car for tall folk I've seen.  Though I've sat in a Tesla Model S...actually very roomy I thought.  But I'm only 6' 6"  :P

But you may have gotten an electric Soul a tad too early?  The newer one is supposed to really ramp up the range limit.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2019, 04:58:58 PM
gigantism?

@Tronitrus

I can't fit in the Bolt, Leaf or the mid size Tesla.  The BMW i3 is also very tight.

:huh:

According to https://www.kia.ca/soulev-prelaunch-2020 The Kia Soul EV is "coming soon - Spring 2019".  How'd you get one?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2019, 05:16:05 PM
gigantism?

@Tronitrus

According to https://www.kia.ca/soulev-prelaunch-2020 The Kia Soul EV is "coming soon - Spring 2019".  How'd you get one?

That is just the newer model year.  They've had a Soul EV for the last few years...but its range is rather crappy up until now.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2019, 05:16:05 PM
gigantism?

@Tronitrus

A new model is coming this year.  I got mine 2 years ago when the first model was produced.   The new model has better range.

dps

Quote from: The Larch on March 05, 2019, 02:26:06 PM

What the article says is that the dummy required for almost all safety tests represents an average male and has male features in the sense of having male bone density, weight distribution, muscle mass, etc, so I guess that in the same crash a woman is going to have worse injuries than a man.

This is one of the main reasons that I have a lot of doubts about the article.  My understanding is that test crash dummies don't truly have human bone density, etc.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.