News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When Did Things Go To Pot?

Started by mongers, February 02, 2019, 01:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2019, 12:15:56 AM
According status to others is synonymous with envy.

I certainly don't agree with that.  According status to others is synonymous with respect.  But then I don't judge a person's status by their wealth or material possessions.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2019, 09:16:46 PM
It irritates me when CEOs get that kind of money because I know that you could get a bunch of guys who could do that job for 1/10 the salary.

Also (and this is related) because the process by which that compensation is set does not inspire much confidence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on February 04, 2019, 02:04:35 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2019, 12:15:56 AM
According status to others is synonymous with envy.

I certainly don't agree with that.  According status to others is synonymous with respect.  But then I don't judge a person's status by their wealth or material possessions.

I think he means the two are irrevocably linked.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2019, 02:21:31 AM
It irritates me when CEOs get that kind of money because I know that you could get a bunch of guys who could do that job for 1/10 the salary.

Also (and this is related) because the process by which that compensation is set does not inspire much confidence.

Could you please elaborate on that?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 04, 2019, 02:42:59 AM

dps had it right.  And that's one of the flaws I see in that (unmade) argument.

Richard Hakluyt

The Economist looked into this a few years back, for the CEOs of FTSE-350 companies iirc. Their conclusion was that, in general, there was no risk of them being poached by international rivals if their pay was greatly reduced as they were mainly mediocrities. They also pointed out that remuneration committees consisted of exactly the same sort of people as the CEOs and very senior management and therefore had an inflated idea of the value of a mediocre board-level manager. OTOH the high pay gets normalised, even if one is not particularly greedy, there is a problem with accepting a low-ball offer as you will be judged by your peers and found wanting.

I reiterate that this is the Economist that said this, not the Morning Star ( https://morningstaronline.co.uk/ ).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2019, 02:53:06 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 04, 2019, 02:42:59 AM

dps had it right.  And that's one of the flaws I see in that (unmade) argument.

"Status can't exist without envy." This sounds reasonable. But they are still terms for different things, not synonymous. I don't think respect and status are necessarily synonymous either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Well, at least there's still some corporate professions that receive pay commensurate to their work. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

ulmont

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on February 04, 2019, 10:21:09 AM

And that gap, under the current straight up capitalist/free market/supremacy of capital system will keep getting larger. It is 100% inevitable given technology and where it is going. There is no market "fix" for that - indeed, the standard free market system sees that gap as a feature, not a problem.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I don't know what "Go to Pot" means but Everything went to shit on September 10 2008.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 02:52:20 AM

Could you please elaborate on that?

CEO compensation and employment terms are set by boards of directors that are often picked by, beholden to, or have other reasons to be friendly to the CEO. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2019, 04:03:22 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 04, 2019, 12:03:14 PM
I don't know what "Go to Pot" means

John Beohner does.

He's sitting in his smoking chair laughing all day every day.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.