Book that belonged to Hitler discovered, maps out 'Final Solution in Canada'

Started by jimmy olsen, January 25, 2019, 12:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2019, 01:44:55 PM
It sounds like the assumption is that an Allied soldier swiped it and kept it before it was sold to the LAC. The only Nazi who is actually known to have owned it appears to have been Hitler. As such, it's not really enriching a Nazi, but does do a lot to prove the Final Solution was truly a thing.

The article says it was bought from "a collector."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2019, 02:12:19 PM
So Hitler himself probably never read or handled it? It was just in some storage unit someplace? Is that the distinction you are making?

Yes. Hitler was not known to be an avid reader, and by 1944, he had other stuff to read anyway... His considerable book collection was handled by aides. Because Kloss was a Nazi ideologue, his research report was probably sent to Hitler as a matter of course, filed, and kept in one of his residences. People at LAC are leaning towards the Berghof. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

I'm not sure that the statement "United States Holocaust Memorial Museum refuse to buy items owned by Nazis" means that they don't buy anything that was once owned by a Nazi, because I have seen exhibits that include items that were very probably once owned by Nazis.  I think the policy of the USHMM is that they won't buy such items on the open market, in order to avoid rewarding the Nazi memorabilia traders.  It could also be, however, that everything I saw was donated and not purchased.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 26, 2019, 12:08:06 PM
Or stolen.

The Holocaust Museum Ninjas aren't stealing anything because they weren't included in the deal to end the government shutdown.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 25, 2019, 09:57:37 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 25, 2019, 04:55:11 AM
*When the book appeared on LAC's radar, Kent said curators struggled with the moral implications of purchasing it. Other institutions including the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum refuse to buy items owned by Nazis."

I really disagree with this attitude; especially with the item in question. It is an important historical document and worthy of preservation and study. As we usually say in war remembrance contexts.........."Lest we forget".

Agreed.  Harder for the deniers to deny when the documentary evidence is preserved.

Very good point.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on January 26, 2019, 02:15:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 25, 2019, 09:57:37 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 25, 2019, 04:55:11 AM
*When the book appeared on LAC's radar, Kent said curators struggled with the moral implications of purchasing it. Other institutions including the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum refuse to buy items owned by Nazis."

I really disagree with this attitude; especially with the item in question. It is an important historical document and worthy of preservation and study. As we usually say in war remembrance contexts.........."Lest we forget".

Agreed.  Harder for the deniers to deny when the documentary evidence is preserved.

Very good point.

Yebbut... it is hard to argue that, if the ten thousand pieces of preserved evidence don't convince the deniers, the ten-thousand-and-first will do so.

There are arguments to be made on both sides.  It's not as clear-cut as some want us to believe.

Bayraktar!

KRonn

True that Grumbler. Likely most of them have to know it happened, but because of their animus against the Jews, or whatever drives them, they refuse to acknowledge.