News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer problems

Started by Monoriu, September 10, 2018, 08:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

So the power supply of my computer has been making strange noises.  It stops if I put some weight on it.  After a while it makes noises again.  And it stops when I take the weight away.  Rinse and repeat.  Enough is enough.  I have made up my mind to take the drastic step to replace it. 

I absolutely hate dragging my computer to the shop.  This is the one thing I hope to avoid.  I become the centre of attention, I get bruises, my arms hurt etc.  My plan is to buy the parts, and (try to) hire somebody to come to my home to install those for me. 

Since I am going to hire somebody anyway, may as well get the most out of it by changing other computer components. 

Here is my current computer setup -

CPU i7-5820k
Motherboard Asus X99-A 8 Ram Slot
Ram DDR4 2400 32G(8Gx4)
Hardrives: 500GB SSD + 128GB SSD + 2TB + WD 6TB Red x2
BD RW
Case Corsair 760T
Powersupply Cooler Master V850
Cooler H100i GTX
Video Card Inno3D GTX970

Power supply has to go.  I have deep suspicions that one of my internal hard drives is semi-dead because data disappears, so I'll replace that too.  My understanding is that CPU coolers "dry out" over time?  So it is probably a good idea to replace that too.  Is that true?  This computer is 3 years old. 

My question is, anything else?  Video card?  I think it is like 4-5 years old. 

Barrister

Definitely replace your PS based on what you describe.

Never heard of CPU coolers "drying out".  Are you using liquid cooling?

My build is about two years old, and everything you have is about the same age, but slightly more expensive (I have a GTX 960 vs your 970, I have a i5-5770 vs your i75820k) so I honestly think you're fine unless you have been having specific issues - so yeah probabbly replace your hard drive.

If you hate taking your computer to the shop, just replace the compnents yourself.  Watch a couple of youtube videos - they explain everything you need to do.  I bult my whole system, and Id never done anything like that before.
Quote from: crazy canuckBB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2018, 10:47:19 PM
Definitely replace your PS based on what you describe.

Never heard of CPU coolers "drying out".  Are you using liquid cooling?

My build is about two years old, and everything you have is about the same age, but slightly more expensive (I have a GTX 960 vs your 970, I have a i5-5770 vs your i75820k) so I honestly think you're fine unless you have been having specific issues - so yeah probabbly replace your hard drive.

If you hate taking your computer to the shop, just replace the compnents yourself.  Watch a couple of youtube videos - they explain everything you need to do.  I bult my whole system, and Id never done anything like that before.

Yes, I use liquid cooling.  My experience is that they generally last 3 years or so. 

I am not going to do the hardware installation myself.  I absolutely suck at anything that involves hand/eye coordination.  I can't tie my shoe strings properly.  I once tried to replace some computer RAM and the result is a dead computer which I had to drag to the shop anyway. 

I just asked.  The price of getting someone to come to my home to replace all the parts for me is US$80.  That's more than I thought but not a bad deal if I don't have to move the computer around.  The main problem is that the parts I buy may not fit the computer. 

Monoriu

I found another guy who is willing to come to my home and do the installations for US$45. 

Monoriu

Ok.  I am considering these parts.  Not sure if they work.

Powersupply.  NZXT E850.  US$150

Hard drive.  WD Red 10T US$370.  Or Seagate Iron wolf 10T US$330

Blu ray reader LG.  US$70.

Liquid cooler Kraken X52 240mm.  US$180

Video card.  They gave me three choices.  Gtx 1070 ti or Gtx 1080.  US$560.  Gtx 1080 ti.  US$870.

I suspect that these people are trying to rip me off  :mad:

Barrister

Mono, if you haven't had any issues with your water cooling system I see no reason to replace it.  So if it's not making funny noises, or you haven't noticed that your CPU is running hot, you should be fine.  Googling suggests they don't just "dry out" over a few years.

DO you really need a blue ray reader?  Have you ever found yourself going "I wish I could play a Blu-Ray disk right now?"

Those are some expensive videocards they're suggesting.  Ho often do you play videogames that are that graphically intensive?  Your current one may be just fine.

Hard to say about pricing in HK.

All the parts should work - PC parts are made to be interchangeable.  Only issue might be physical size, in particular on the video cards.  You won't know unless you physically go in and measure how much space you have inside your case.
Quote from: crazy canuckBB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2018, 09:35:29 AM
Mono, if you haven't had any issues with your water cooling system I see no reason to replace it.  So if it's not making funny noises, or you haven't noticed that your CPU is running hot, you should be fine.  Googling suggests they don't just "dry out" over a few years.

DO you really need a blue ray reader?  Have you ever found yourself going "I wish I could play a Blu-Ray disk right now?"

Those are some expensive videocards they're suggesting.  Ho often do you play videogames that are that graphically intensive?  Your current one may be just fine.

Hard to say about pricing in HK.

All the parts should work - PC parts are made to be interchangeable.  Only issue might be physical size, in particular on the video cards.  You won't know unless you physically go in and measure how much space you have inside your case.

Water cooling - my current one seems to be working.  But my own experience is that that is the number one or two part that is most likely to break over time, along with the powersupply.  The shops say they generally last 2-3 years max.  While they have an obvious conflict of interest in suggesting that, it is indeed consistent with my previous experience.  I hate doing this replacing hardware business, and I want to minimise my chance of having to do this again.  My current water cooling system is already 3 years old.  So I am inclined to replace it.

Blu-ray reader - my current one is semi-broken.  I can't eject the disc properly.  Need to insert a stick in the hole to force eject it.  I am tired of this.  The drive is like 7-8 years old.  This is the cheapest part so I am ok with this.  I absolutely must have at least a DVD reader.  The price difference between a DVD and blu-ray reader isn't that great anyway. 

Video card - yeah I have some doubts about this.  I think the 1080 ti is probably a bit of overkill, considering that I don't play a lot of graphics intensive games. 

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on September 10, 2018, 08:24:43 PM
So the power supply of my computer has been making strange noises.
Powersupply Cooler Master V850
Reliable 5 year warranty
http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/v-series-psu/v850/

Make sure it ain't still under warranty before throwing it away.  You could get a free one.  As in free.  ;)

QuoteMy understanding is that CPU coolers "dry out" over time?  So it is probably a good idea to replace that too.  Is that true?  This computer is 3 years old. 
No, not really. the thermal paste could dry out if you seriously, constantly over-overclock it with cheap thermal paste, but then you'd know.

My question is, anything else?  Video card?  I think it is like 4-5 years old. 

Do you actually play graphically intensive games right now?  If you only watch animes and play EU-style games, that rig is more than enough.

Except maybe the SSD, a little on the low side.

Video cards prices are insane right now.  Everyone is massively buying top notch cards to mine for cryptocurrency driving the price up.  Your best bet would be to buy a used one off Ebay, install an aftermarket cooler on it... but then, it's gonna cost you as much as buying a new one.

If I were you, I'd save money for a new computer in 2 years.  Stick to your powersupply that might still be under warranty.  A tech would charge 50-75$ for changing that, Coolermaster will likely give you a new one if you still have your original proof of purchase.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on September 12, 2018, 09:54:02 AM
Water cooling - my current one seems to be working.  But my own experience is that that is the number one or two part that is most likely to break over time, along with the powersupply.  The shops say they generally last 2-3 years max.  While they have an obvious conflict of interest in suggesting that, it is indeed consistent with my previous experience.  I hate doing this replacing hardware business, and I want to minimise my chance of having to do this again.  My current water cooling system is already 3 years old.  So I am inclined to replace it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The way it is made/fixed in your case, it will not interfere with your technician changing the power supply, so you don't really save any money by doing both jobs at the same time.

Ok, maybe, changing it today instead of when it breaks will net you a surplus of 20$ in your pockets.  But, if it lasts for 2 more years, figure the return on investment of that 20$ in your portfolio, consider there will be better and cheaper cooling solutions for computers&video cards then... so you ain't saving anything.

And... all that being said, I went to check, again, the warranty.  It has a 5 year warranty.  Meaning if the fluid evaporates under 5 years, you return it on warranty for exchange.  Free exchange, Mono.  Except your shipping cost.

Same advice as before: replace your PS unit under warranty.  Don't touch anything else for another 2 years.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

What about the HDD?  Should I pick WD or Seagate?  Seagate is a little bit cheaper. 

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on September 12, 2018, 08:16:16 PM
What about the HDD?  Should I pick WD or Seagate?  Seagate is a little bit cheaper. 
Seagate is better than it used to be, but in the past, I had so many problems with them that I boycotted the entire company.  I'm stubborn like that.

I lead toward WD, good reliabily, good speed.

I doubt it is "semi-dead" though.  Data just doesn't disapear from a damaged hard drive, it becomes corrupted.  Meaning, at some point, you try to open a file (or launch a game, app, whatever) and you get an error message.

Try following these instructions before replacing the drive:https://help.aol.co.uk/articles/run-scandisk-and-disk-defragmenter-on-my-hard-drive-in-windows-8-7-vista?guccounter=1

I think you have another problem than a faulty hard drive.

Windows 10 has a tendancy to "self resolve" simple problems like hard drive, and by default, your computer should have S.M.A.R.T. activated for its hard drive, meaning it will communicate with the OS and inform it if a part of your hard drive has failed or if your hdd is about to fail, so Windows could mark part of your drive "bad" (bad sector) and not write on it.

But I have not seen an hard drive with bad sectors in many, many, many years.  Not since I switched to WD...

Also, do you know how to create a storage pool with your 2 RED hdd?  could comme in handy:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces

Basically, you link your 2 hdds and have like one giant HDD.