Those wacky Germans with their racism and their personality cults...

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 17, 2009, 06:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2009, 06:34:32 PM
Is that funny?

Yeah, kinda.  Obama, like all black folks, just luuuuuuvs him some fried chicken.  I like the Golden Gate Bridge that is in the background for no apparent reason, as well :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2009, 06:37:32 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2009, 06:34:32 PM
Is that funny?

Yeah, kinda.  Obama, like all black folks, just luuuuuuvs him some fried chicken.  I like the Golden Gate Bridge that is in the background for no apparent reason, as well :D

It could be different in Germany but in the UK that's not a stereotype.  I didn't get it because I thought the racial stereotype was something to do with Indians and curry and wondered if Germany had just got very concerned.

Edit:  In the UK fried chicken is called 'southern fried chicken' and large American flags and so on are inevitable marketing accoutrements.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Obama, like all black folks, just luuuuuuvs him some fried chicken.

How could he dislike fried chicken? :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Yeah, kinda.  Obama, like all black folks, just luuuuuuvs him some fried chicken.
Not a common cliché in Germany. Black people are associated with music (Americans) or drug dealers (Africans).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

After this story broke I found a photo essay with the historical racism in advertising.  As recently as 2001 this caricature was used to sell marmalade in the UK:

It's called a Golliwog; based on a popular childrens book from early last century.  Apparently you can still buy Golliwog dolls in Australia and the UK.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

When I was a kid, I had children's books with golliwogs in them.  Anybody who thinks they're offensive should be killed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2009, 02:50:18 PM
When I was a kid, I had children's books with golliwogs in them.  Anybody who thinks they're offensive should be killed.

The Queen called them racist (after it was found that they were being sold at the tourist shop at her estate at Sandringham.)  Why do you hate your sovereign, Neil?   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on March 20, 2009, 03:15:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2009, 02:50:18 PM

The Queen called them racist (after it was found that they were being sold at the tourist shop at her estate at Sandringham.)  Why do you hate your sovereign, Neil?   :(
Because the only decent thing she's ever done is to marry Prince Philip.

Josquius

The steryotype for fried chicken is more white trash than black folks over here. Thanks to the colonel I guess.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.