News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2022, 05:10:11 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 18, 2022, 04:15:18 AMGood thing he's not a hypocritical liberal, at least. :P

He is not involved with a university so all is good.  The free speechers need to focus on the real enemy.
You are such an asshole - you and Musk would get along great.

I don't see anyone here who cares about free speech defending Musk. Do you?

The hypocrisy is YOU. Why isn't ok for Musk to "exercise his free speech by shutting up those he doesn't like"?

Why isn't Elon allowed to cancel people with views he doesn't like?

Musk is a textbook example for those who actually care about free speech. Don't cheer cancelling people, because inevitable someone with power will start cancelling people you don't want them to cancel. 

This is why actual principals matter, not just caring about something only when your Drazi are the victims. 
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on June 18, 2022, 07:02:12 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 18, 2022, 04:15:18 AMGood thing he's not a hypocritical liberal, at least. :P

He is not involved with a university so all is good.  The free speechers need to focus on the real enemy.

The hypocrisy is YOU. Why isn't ok for Musk to "exercise his free speech by shutting up those he doesn't like"?

Musk is a textbook example for those who actually care about free speech. Don't cheer cancelling people, because inevitable someone with power will start cancelling people you don't want them to cancel.

This is why actual principals matter, not just caring about something only when your Drazi are the victims.

People with power cancelling those they don't like has been the way since before we came down from the trees.

Less common but causing hurt feelings these days is the "cancel culture" of those with little power combining to slightly damage those with power.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

People who could foment mobs always had power.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 18, 2022, 08:10:09 AMPeople who could foment mobs always had power.
Yes.
And these people aren't those getting most of the rants about cancel culture thrown their way.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

I must admit that I am amused by the arguments that, since people with power have always had a greater ability to stifle free speech than those without power, stifling free speech is okay because that's the way it has always been.  They don't want to reduce the stifling of free speech, they want to double it so that those without traditional power can do it as much as those with traditional power.

Irony is not just the opposite of wrinkly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Josquius on June 18, 2022, 07:51:39 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 18, 2022, 07:02:12 AM

People with power cancelling those they don't like has been the way since before we came down from the trees.

Less common but causing hurt feelings these days is the "cancel culture" of those with little power combining to slightly damage those with power.
...which is why we should be against anyone cancelling those they don't like through stifling free speech.

This isn't complicated.

0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on June 18, 2022, 01:57:00 PM[
...which is why we should be against anyone cancelling those they don't like through stifling free speech.

This isn't complicated.

So let hate preachers continue to do their thing, anti abortion extremists to hang around outside clinics screaming their nonsense, teachers to tell kids whatever they fancy, dodgy regimes to do whatever they want with zero consequences for their businesses etc...
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Josquius on June 18, 2022, 02:29:10 PM

This isn't complicated.

So let hate preachers continue to do their thing, anti abortion extremists to hang around outside clinics screaming their nonsense, teachers to tell kids whatever they fancy, dodgy regimes to do whatever they want with zero consequences for their businesses etc...
Yes, yes (depending), no (is that a problem?), and I don't know what you mean by a "dodgy regime".

0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on June 18, 2022, 07:50:11 PM

This isn't complicated.

Yes, yes (depending), no (is that a problem?), and I don't know what you mean by a "dodgy regime".
Probably the best example of cancel culture in action - the apartheid South Africa boycott.

Or in more recent times those who make an effort to avoid Chinese products.

And I disagree. Hate speech is a very real and harmful thing. Cancel the hate preacher and you can stop a suicide bomber from killing hundreds.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Josquius on June 19, 2022, 01:43:39 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 18, 2022, 07:50:11 PM

This isn't complicated.

Probably the best example of cancel culture in action - the apartheid South Africa boycott.

Or in more recent times those who make an effort to avoid Chinese products.

And I disagree. Hate speech is a very real and harmful thing. Cancel the hate preacher and you can stop a suicide bomber from killing hundreds.

Neither of those are examples of the problems anyone is talking about. 

Notice when I posted the article about it, the article didn't say anything about people choosing not to buy particular products. It talked about students feeling that they could not speak freely about their views.

This is a textbook example of a red herring.

0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2022, 07:19:02 AM]

Notice when I posted the article about it, the article didn't say anything about people choosing not to buy particular products. It talked about students feeling that they could not speak freely about their views.

It's just a different implementation of the same basic thing.
Needless to say the south African governments views were very unwelcome at the time.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Josquius on June 19, 2022, 10:38:55 AM

Needless to say the south African governments views were very unwelcome at the time.
So you are saying that if I want to be concerned that individuals are not free to speak their minds freely, then I have to also be concerned about people deciding not to shop from some particular place?

Interesting. What if I just refuse to agree to that? What if I decide I am going to find the first thing alarming, and refuse to find the second thing troubling at all?

Will I got to social justice warrior jail?

0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2022, 10:41:34 AM
Quote from: Josquius on June 19, 2022, 10:38:55 AM

So you are saying that if I want to be concerned that individuals are not free to speak their minds freely, then I have to also be concerned about people deciding not to shop from some particular place?

Interesting. What if I just refuse to agree to that? What if I decide I am going to find the first thing alarming, and refuse to find the second thing troubling at all?

Will I got to social justice warrior jail?

More, marked as inconsistent.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

I suspect there is no inconstancy in my stance at all. I suspect you just can't figure out a better way to reconcile your support for stifling free speech in a liberal society then to insist that we have to do so or else tolerate apartheid.

Maybe you can throw some Nazis in as well? 

0 rows returned