News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Full self-delusion was reached long ago so something was accomplished.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Lots of talk about how fantastic the Shanghai Tesla factory is - but this, combined with the Saudi money, is why I'm highly dubious of Musk as a fit and proper owner of social media company <_<
QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
Honored to meet with Premier Li Qiang.

We have known each other now for many years, since early Shanghai days.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Is he wearing shoes with lifts at the back to look taller?

Jacob

Whatever else you might say about Musk, he's definitely decisive.

QuoteTesla Consumed by Chaos as Key Senior Executives Leave and Entire Teams Are Wiped Out

Tesla lost more senior executives this month than it probably did in its entire history before. After Drew Baglino and Rohan Patel, Martin Viecha announced his departure during the first quarter earnings call. It appears that Rebecca Tinucci, the chief of Tesla Charging Infrastructure, has also been dismissed along with the entire Supercharger team of 500 people reporting to her. Daniel Ho, the chief of new product introduction, has also been laid off after more than 10 years at Tesla.

The "wartime CEO" Elon Musk seems poised to dismantle Tesla piece by piece, starting with the senior management. Following a disastrous first quarter, Musk began a massive layoff plan, affecting more than 10% of Tesla's workforce. The headcount trimming was deemed necessary as Tesla's financials suffered heavily, but it appears more than that.

Elon Musk hinted at a new direction for the company, focusing on autonomous driving and robotaxis. All other programs except those related to AI and FSD are put on hold, and the departure of key senior executives suggested that Tesla will move away from manufacturing. In a very short time, Tesla lost Drew Baglino, its Senior VP of Powertrain and Energy, Rohan Patel, in charge of Tesla Policy and Bizdev, and Martin Viecha, VP of Investor Relations.

The senior executive hemorrhagic is not over yet, as a new round of layoffs shocked the Tesla community on Monday. This time, Rebecca Tinucci and Daniel Ho drew the short straw. Tinucci was the head of charging infrastructure at Tesla and was responsible for the successful Supercharger deployment and the NACS deals that transformed the industry. Not only her but also her entire Supercharger team of 500 people has been laid off in a move that left everyone scratching their heads.

Daniel Ho was Tesla's director of vehicle programs and new product introduction (NPI) and has been with the company for the past ten years. His departure may have to do with Tesla shelving plans for new vehicles. Just as with Tinucci's team, all people reporting to Ho have also been fired. Another team that was wiped out was Tesla's public policy team, led by Rohan Patel prior to his departure on April 14.

"Hopefully, these actions are making it clear that we need to be absolutely hardcore about headcount and cost reduction," Musk wrote in the email first revealed by The Information. "While some on exec staff are taking this seriously, most are not yet doing so. Starting at 10 AM EST on Tuesday, I will ask for the resignation of any executive who retains more than three people who don't obviously pass the excellent, necessary and trustworthy test... I have been super clear about this."

Elon Musk tries hard to turn Tesla from a carmaker into an AI company as its Full Self-Driving software makes strides. After Musk paid an unannounced visit to China to clear the way for FSD deployment in the country, Tesla's share prices rose by 15%. This was the first time software had pushed Tesla's valuation, validating Musk's view that Tesla is, indeed, an AI company. The move could be behind Musk's latest decisions that point to Tesla abandoning Supercharger expansion and new vehicle development.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-consumed-by-chaos-as-key-senior-executives-leave-and-entire-teams-are-wiped-out-233153.html

It kind of reminds me of the way he swung his dick around at Twitter. I'm not convinced it has produced results that worked out for him, but I guess time will tell.

Elon has very much entered the :popcorn: phase from my point of view.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2024, 12:28:06 PMElon has very much entered the :popcorn: phase from my point of view.

Enough hot air will make him burst?
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 30, 2024, 12:38:06 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2024, 12:28:06 PMElon has very much entered the :popcorn: phase from my point of view.

Enough hot air will make him burst?

Bad analogy, corn is made better when it bursts.

Zanza

I think the super charger network was one of the innovative and successful decisions Tesla made in the past. Firing 500 people working on that boggles the mind.

Valmy

It seems weird from a business standpoint to fire everybody who was working on things your customers actually want and need and instead focusing on an unproven product that has yet to make it to market.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2024, 02:35:43 PMIt seems weird from a business standpoint to fire everybody who was working on things your customers actually want and need and instead focusing on an unproven product that has yet to make it to market.

To the extent it makes sense, it's to preserve Tesla's stock value as a tech/growth company, and not "merely" a fast growing car company.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on July 18, 2018, 08:50:26 AMI think I've mentioned before that I think Elon Musk is a piece of shit and a con artist. :hmm:
Quoting myself again...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Guess the remaining staff just need to learn how to be more hardcore.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Seems plan is to license IP and contract manufacturing to China. Musk concluding that he cannot compete with the Chinese manufacturers and might as well get ahead of the curve. But it assumes the IP has sufficient worth to drive enough value to support the high valuations.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Contracting manufacturing to China sounds like he's trying to treat Tesla like Apple?

Wasn't Musk the guy who said he knows more about manufacturing than anyone alive? Seems a waste to not leverage that competitive edge...