News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

You couldn't pay me $1000 a month to post on twitter.

But I think the company can still hold the twitter account, it just won't have that gold check bullshit thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

So, among those who apparently received a Twitter pardon is this lovely person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Arps

He recently posted the street address of an opponent, saying they "can be contacted via mail or friendly 'police knock.'"

He was reported numerous times for doxxing, something that a few weeks ago was near and dear to Elon's heart. Twitter response: "The tweets don't violate Twitter policy, carry on." The tweet is still online.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

How long before twitter sees legal action I wonder.
Musk doesn't seem to get twitter didn't enforce its rules just for fun or to push an ideology.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 02:29:51 AMHow long before twitter sees legal action I wonder.
Musk doesn't seem to get twitter didn't enforce its rules just for fun or to push an ideology.

Twitter enforced the rule it did because they make a judgement about the relative merits of censoring lies vs. free speech.  There is no law I can think of that applies, no law that requires social media sites to censor untruths.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2023, 02:47:05 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 02:29:51 AMHow long before twitter sees legal action I wonder.

Twitter enforced the rule it did because they make a judgement about the relative merits of censoring lies vs. free speech.  There is no law I can think of that applies, no law that requires social media sites to censor untruths.

There's been loads of cases of people running into legal trouble for doxing or even hate speech on twitter
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 03:48:55 AMThere's been loads of cases of people running into legal trouble for doxing or even hate speech on twitter

The Alex Jones case is the clearest example I can think of.

But we were talking about civil and/or criminal liability for the *platform,* weren't we?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2023, 03:52:01 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 03:48:55 AMThere's been loads of cases of people running into legal trouble for doxing or even hate speech on twitter

The Alex Jones case is the clearest example I can think of.

But we were talking about civil and/or criminal liability for the *platform,* weren't we?

Yes.
Up to now twitter has been making serious efforts to enforce the law. Or at least giving the minimum appearance of doing so.
If twitter are publically saying breaking the law on their platform is fine... Well I'm no lawyer but there does seem to be a problem there.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 03:55:28 AMYes.
Up to now twitter has been making serious efforts to enforce the law. Or at least giving the minimum appearance of doing so.
If twitter are publically saying breaking the law on their platform is fine... Well I'm no lawyer but there does seem to be a problem there.

Dude, that's what I just said.  I don't think Twitter under Jack Dorsey was complying with any law.  They were doing their own thing.  No Musk has bought it and he's doing a different thing.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2023, 03:59:55 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 03:55:28 AMYes.

Dude, that's what I just said.  I don't think Twitter under Jack Dorsey was complying with any law.  They were doing their own thing.  No Musk has bought it and he's doing a different thing.

They weren't just doing their own thing before though. They were having a go at ensuring no laws were broken on the platform and managing to stay out of legal trouble themselves for it.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2023, 02:18:50 AMSo, among those who apparently received a Twitter pardon is this lovely person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Arps

He recently posted the street address of an opponent, saying they "can be contacted via mail or friendly 'police knock.'"

He was reported numerous times for doxxing, something that a few weeks ago was near and dear to Elon's heart. Twitter response: "The tweets don't violate Twitter policy, carry on." The tweet is still online.
So, basically, Elon Musk is a douche?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 06:15:06 AMThey weren't just doing their own thing before though. They were having a go at ensuring no laws were broken on the platform and managing to stay out of legal trouble themselves for it.

There is no law against saying Covid is fake or that drinking pool cleaner will cure you of this fake disease.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2023, 05:33:26 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 06:15:06 AMThey weren't just doing their own thing before though. They were having a go at ensuring no laws were broken on the platform and managing to stay out of legal trouble themselves for it.

There is no law against saying Covid is fake or that drinking pool cleaner will cure you of this fake disease.
That isn't what we are talking about though. We are talking about sharing someone's address and hinting that it'd be good to commit violence against them.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2023, 05:33:26 PMThere is no law against saying Covid is fake or that drinking pool cleaner will cure you of this fake disease.

Are there laws about doxxing people and accusing them of something, leading to their assassination shortly thereafter?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 05:59:37 PMThat isn't what we are talking about though. We are talking about sharing someone's address and hinting that it'd be good to commit violence against them.

Gotcha. 

Does the new Elon Twitter allow that?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2023, 06:12:32 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 05:59:37 PMThat isn't what we are talking about though. We are talking about sharing someone's address and hinting that it'd be good to commit violence against them.

Gotcha. 

Does the new Elon Twitter allow that?

Seems to.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.