News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on December 25, 2022, 02:20:51 PMThat was pretty much just a question of time since Elon fired most of the security team.

Account's name, email address, phone numbers, creation date of the account, just about everything someone could need to impersonate a celebrity or any influencer on Twitter.  I am unsure about the passwords though.

Raz, if you still want to impersonate Syt, this your chance, just bid on the data ;)

Seriously, this is fucked up for the victims of the hack.  It seems it was really preventable.

Fascinating that some celebs have such utterly basic email addresses. Piers Morgan 1 at bt Internet :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Are you sure our forum should have a direct link to the alleged hackers post selling the data?

viper37

You're right, I've replaced it with a news link.  Jos should edit his post.  Sorry.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

People saying that this line in Star Trek: Discovery is (retroactively) the first clue that Lorca was from the Mirrror Universe. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on December 28, 2022, 05:59:45 AMContext for the non Trekkies?
He's from a the same but different opposite-dimension where the same main characters exist but are eeeviiillll and often have some opposite character traits. History broadly looks the same except people are dicks and there's a few oddities like Musk being spoken in the same light as the other two.
Zephram Cochrane invented warp drive.

Quote from: viper37 on December 26, 2022, 12:22:16 AMYou're right, I've replaced it with a news link.  Jos should edit his post.  Sorry.
K
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on December 28, 2022, 06:33:48 AMHe's from a the same but different opposite-dimension where the same main characters exist but are eeeviiillll and often have opposite characters traits. History broadly looks the same except people are dicks and there's a few oddities like Musk being spoken in the same light as the other two.
Zephram Cochrane invented warp drive.
´

What Josq said. :) In the scene, Lorca speaks to Stamets who's pioneering a new propulsion technique, and puts him in a line with the Wright Bros., Musk, and Cochrane. Obviously, when the episode aired in 2017 Musk didn't have nearly the reputation he has now. :P

Actually, Trek often is careful with such "near now" references. A notable exception was in Next Generation where Data played poker on the holodeck against Einstein, Newton and Stephen Hawking, with the latter being played by the actual one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

He is on one level with Syt's family now:

Also:

The Minsky Moment

I almost feel embarrassed for him.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

Looking into Tesla more--their stock has cratered pretty badly, far worse than the overall market. It appears demand is declining for their cars and they are additionally having supply chain issues.

Hits also keep coming about their Autopilot assisted drive program, Tesla used to report quarterly safety statistics on it, but stopped a while back. NHTSA now requires at least some of those statistics to be released to them regardless, and people poring over Tesla's data have come to the conclusion that Tesla quit reporting on the statistics because the statistics got a lot worse, it is a significantly more dangerous driver-assistance program than its competitors versions.

https://mastodon.social/@owasow/109587771638625984

Zanza

On their "autopilot" I always had the impression that they had more or less the same capabilities as their peers, but were significantly less risk-averse and thus gave the system more control than other OEMs.

HVC

Tesla is getting slammed in China both from Covid related factory issues and competition.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Tesla video promoting self-driving was staged, engineer testifies

QuoteJan 17 (Reuters) - A 2016 video that Tesla (TSLA.O) used to promote its self-driving technology was staged to show capabilities like stopping at a red light and accelerating at a green light that the system did not have, according to testimony by a senior engineer.

The video, which remains archived on Tesla's website, was released in October 2016 and promoted on Twitter by Chief Executive Elon Musk as evidence that "Tesla drives itself."

But the Model X was not driving itself with technology Tesla had deployed, Ashok Elluswamy, director of Autopilot software at Tesla, said in the transcript of a July deposition taken as evidence in a lawsuit against Tesla for a 2018 fatal crash involving a former Apple (AAPL.O) engineer.

The previously unreported testimony by Elluswamy represents the first time a Tesla employee has confirmed and detailed how the video was produced.
Latest Updates

The video carries a tagline saying: "The person in the driver's seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself."

Elluswamy said Tesla's Autopilot team set out to engineer and record a "demonstration of the system's capabilities" at the request of Musk.

Elluswamy, Musk and Tesla did not respond to a request for comment. However, the company has warned drivers that they must keep their hands on the wheel and maintain control of their vehicles while using Autopilot.

The Tesla technology is designed to assist with steering, braking, speed and lane changes but its features "do not make the vehicle autonomous," the company says on its website.

To create the video, the Tesla used 3D mapping on a predetermined route from a house in Menlo Park, California, to Tesla's then-headquarters in Palo Alto, he said.

Drivers intervened to take control in test runs, he said. When trying to show the Model X could park itself with no driver, a test car crashed into a fence in Tesla's parking lot, he said.

"The intent of the video was not to accurately portray what was available for customers in 2016. It was to portray what was possible to build into the system," Elluswamy said, according to a transcript of his testimony seen by Reuters.

When Tesla released the video, Musk tweeted, "Tesla drives itself (no human input at all) thru urban streets to highway to streets, then finds a parking spot."

Tesla faces lawsuits and regulatory scrutiny over its driver assistance systems.

The U.S. Department of Justice began a criminal investigation into Tesla's claims that its electric vehicles can drive themselves in 2021, after a number of crashes, some of them fatal, involving Autopilot, Reuters has reported.

The New York Times reported in 2021 that Tesla engineers had created the 2016 video to promote Autopilot without disclosing that the route had been mapped in advance or that a car had crashed in trying to complete the shoot, citing anonymous sources.

When asked if the 2016 video showed the performance of the Tesla Autopilot system available in a production car at the time, Elluswamy said, "It does not."

Elluswamy was deposed in a lawsuit against Tesla over a 2018 crash in Mountain View, California, that killed Apple engineer Walter Huang.

Andrew McDevitt, the lawyer who represents Huang's wife and who questioned Elluswamy's in July, told Reuters it was "obviously misleading to feature that video without any disclaimer or asterisk."

The National Transportation Safety Board concluded in 2020 that Huang's fatal crash was likely caused by his distraction and the limitations of Autopilot. It said Tesla's "ineffective monitoring of driver engagement" had contributed to the crash.

Elluswamy said drivers could "fool the system," making a Tesla system believe that they were paying attention based on feedback from the steering wheel when they were not. But he said he saw no safety issue with Autopilot if drivers were paying attention.

Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin; Editing by Kevin Krolicki and Lisa Shumaker
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Elon Musk: dead-beat renter.

QuoteTwitter faces lawsuits over unpaid rent for U.S. HQ, U.K. office
Crown Estate starts court proceedings against company in Britain

More landlords are taking Twitter to court over unpaid rent at the social media company's headquarters in San Francisco and its British offices — the latest legal headaches for billionaire owner Elon Musk, who has been trying to slash expenses.

Twitter is facing a lawsuit over allegations it failed to pay rent for its head office, according to California court documents. The owner of its premises in central London, meanwhile, said it's taking the company to court over rental debt.

[more details here]