News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Brain on November 28, 2022, 03:41:52 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 27, 2022, 09:45:03 PMMy father spent much of his life using the terms [racial slurs], in the last 15 or so years of his life he quit using them. The reality is sometimes the things you can say without consequence are reduced, and that isn't always a bad thing.

Why are you still using them?

I mean I don't in polite conversation, a message board full of primarily middle-aged white strategy game players is a place where I don't exercise the same social restraints I would in real life--I have never used those words even casually in real life because they are just so far outside my lived experience. When I was in High School, we frequently used the N-word as a "joke", and all the typical stereotypes were there--none of us considered ourselves racist, we had black friends etc. I eventually realized in my 20s that it's not really edgy and it's not really a joke--it's something a white guy just has no business saying as a joke.

Quote from: viper37 on November 28, 2022, 12:48:07 AMI am with Berkut on this one.  The kid had his scholarship, it was granted to him.  He did nothing wrong, he sang a song that contained the word.

He created drama for the athletic department and football team. I have already explained the cultural/social forces at play in football recruiting. This specific decision seems harsh but entirely rational to me because I follow college football--coaches don't care about anything other than competitiveness, and something that brings negative racial attention to the program is a no go in a sport where your ability to recruit and retain minority teenagers is crucial to winning games.

Quote from: viper37 on November 28, 2022, 12:48:07 AMThere was a recent case of a Boston hockey player drafted by the Bruins who, it was revealed, used that word.  But it wasn't in a song, and it was in a bullying case that lasted for years.  Among other things, he gave a black retarded kid a candy that was soaked in a urinal before hand and regularly hit him with his friends while they were in the bus.

The Boston Bruins guy is a case I have read up on--and your description is a little off. The negative attention on him isn't (at least primarily) due to words he used, but the fact he bullied a minority special needs kid so badly he ended up eating a criminal charge for it.

Interestingly because of the specifics of that case I think the Bruins situation is actually more complex. The Bruins essentially decided to rescind his job offer because of a sealed juvenile conviction from when he was 14, which the laws of both Massachusetts (where Boston is) and New York (where the NHL are headquartered) actually prohibit employers from using juvenile records to make hiring decisions. I am assuming the NHL/Bruins are covered somehow for their actions, but they actually seem against the spirit of the law and the concept of sealed juvenile records. Legally (and I think morally/ethically) there is actually a difference when it involves a perk like a scholarship versus an actual employment offer, because of all the reasons we have regulations and treat employment differently.

Barrister

Elmo is sounding extra deranged on Twitter: posting Pepe the Frog memes, going after Alexander Vindman...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2022, 04:00:16 PMElmo is sounding extra deranged on Twitter: posting Pepe the Frog memes, going after Alexander Vindman...

Definitely need another 50 like this guy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2022, 04:00:16 PMElmo is sounding extra deranged on Twitter: posting Pepe the Frog memes, going after Alexander Vindman...

Why Vindman? What gripe does he have with him?

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2022, 04:29:42 PM

Why Vindman? What gripe does he have with him?

I'm not exactly sure.  VIndman posted something about Musk having too much power, then Musk posted:

QuoteVindman is both puppet & puppeteer. Question is who pulls his strings ... ?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596925202184564736

OttoVonBismarck

Musk was apparently set off into his most recent derangement by rumors Apple is going to pull Twitter from its app store (which I don't think is verified at all--and even if Apple took action against Twitter it would likely be similar to what it did with Truth Social and Parler--it would hit it with some "fix" requirements to get its next version app store approved, which they would likely comply with, and it would be fine), Musk also is complaining that Apple has stopped advertising on Twitter and has started a troll campaign against Tim Cook.

DGuller

Either Musk is going Bobby Fischer on us, or he's gone down the QAnon rabbit hole and all the pushback he's getting combined with his stubbornness is driving him deeper into it.

PJL

Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2022, 04:51:11 PMEither Musk is going Bobby Fischer on us, or he's gone down the QAnon rabbit hole and all the pushback he's getting combined with his stubbornness is driving him deeper into it.

From what I've read about Bobby Fischer I don't think there's any difference. He'd be down the QAnon rabbit hole too...

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 28, 2022, 04:48:52 PMMusk was apparently set off into his most recent derangement by rumors Apple is going to pull Twitter from its app store (which I don't think is verified at all--and even if Apple took action against Twitter it would likely be similar to what it did with Truth Social and Parler--it would hit it with some "fix" requirements to get its next version app store approved, which they would likely comply with, and it would be fine), Musk also is complaining that Apple has stopped advertising on Twitter and has started a troll campaign against Tim Cook.

But the "fix" requirement would be something about better content moderation.  Musk might be pig-headed enough to try and fight Apple if they went that route (since users could still access Twitter via a web browser).

FunkMonk

Feels like Elon has taken the torch from Trump as the "fighter" of the right/alt-right. Except Elon is the richest man in the world and now owns the same platform that exiled Trump :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kZRLNW71ouQ

Here's some nice cancel culture at work.  Tourist climbs Mayan ruin they're not allowed to, gets pushed around and sprayed with water.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2022, 06:57:18 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/shorts/kZRLNW71ouQ

Here's some nice cancel culture at work.  Tourist climbs Mayan ruin they're not allowed to, gets pushed around and sprayed with water.
Why is that cancel culture?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 28, 2022, 07:09:58 PMWhy is that cancel culture?

People expressing displeasure at a person's actions or words.

Razgovory

Oh.  I saw it more as beating someone up who broke the rules.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017