News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

That's why he spent that much money on twitter. So he could say those things without being banned from the platform.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

1. Racism and bigotry is bad.
2. Over-reacting to it and trying to stifle speech that doesn't align with the most radical views on ending #1 is bad as well, and IMO harms the effort to combat #1.
3. Over-over-reacting to #2 is bad, and harms the effort to combat #2, which then goes back to promoting #1.

Humanity is doomed. 
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2022, 10:11:00 AM1. Racism and bigotry is bad.
2. Over-reacting to it and trying to stifle speech that doesn't align with the most radical views on ending #1 is bad as well, and IMO harms the effort to combat #1.
3. Over-over-reacting to #2 is bad, and harms the effort to combat #2, which then goes back to promoting #1.

Humanity is doomed.

Doomed in what sense? Humanity didn't meet its end during centuries of racism and bigotry.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

I am neither right nor left = I'm very, very right wing, actually.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 10:30:19 AMI am neither right nor left = I'm very, very right wing, actually.

Quite :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

PJL

I've come to the conclusion that whenever a 'but' appears in a message it immediately invalidates anything written before the 'but'.

The Larch

Quote from: PJL on November 25, 2022, 11:20:33 AMI've come to the conclusion that whenever a 'but' appears in a message it immediately invalidates anything written before the 'but'.

They same the very same thing in Game of Thrones.  :P

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on November 25, 2022, 06:20:34 AMAs I understand it musk is keeping him off not because of the law suits, but because Elon has a dead child and took Jones actions personally. So to recap, free speach is good, unless it makes him feel bad.

But I guess a broken clock can be right in this case of keeping Jones off. 

Yeah that's usually how it is with folks like Musk - "I'm absolutely for free speech when it comes to things that hurt other people and groups; where I draw the line is for things that bother me personally."

celedhring

And what's this "counter-narrative" that Musk deems so deeply necessary? That women/minorities/LGTB+ people should shut the fuck up and know their place? We might have a laugh here.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 11:24:04 AM
Quote from: PJL on November 25, 2022, 11:20:33 AMI've come to the conclusion that whenever a 'but' appears in a message it immediately invalidates anything written before the 'but'.

They same the very same thing in Game of Thrones.  :P

Yes and it sounds good, but it is not universally true.

OttoVonBismarck

My biggest issue with the "anti-woke" movement is it has nothing to do with free speech. These guys like Musk / Rogan/ Tucker Carlson etc don't really care about government speech regulations because at least in the West the government rarely has a major role to play in regulating speech around many of these divisive issues (outside of the schools, I guess.)

What they typically mean is "I want free speech to say something offensive, and I don't want anyone to have free speech to say my offensive words are in bad taste."

An intrinsic part of free speech is that other people are free to criticize your speech, they want that part to not exist.

OttoVonBismarck

Some of the weird things I'm starting to see on Twitter:

https://i.imgur.com/VJpnYN2.png

1. I never followed this person, nor do I really engage with LGBT / Trans dialogue on Twitter at all (my follows a mixture of sports, Ukraine war stuff, and some political pundits, and a few weather pages and major news sites)

2. Obviously this has been flagged by Twitter's algorithm as something I should / would want to see, and that certainly was never happening before.

3. It is also obviously a culture war tweet, which is the sort of tweet I've largely ignored or even blocked accounts over historically because I just have no interest in using twitter to get in culture war battles.

PJL

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 25, 2022, 03:39:24 PMMy biggest issue with the "anti-woke" movement is it has nothing to do with free speech. These guys like Musk / Rogan/ Tucker Carlson etc don't really care about government speech regulations because at least in the West the government rarely has a major role to play in regulating speech around many of these divisive issues (outside of the schools, I guess.)

What they typically mean is "I want free speech to say something offensive, and I don't want anyone to have free speech to say my offensive words are in bad taste."

An intrinsic part of free speech is that other people are free to criticize your speech, they want that part to not exist.

I've come to the conclusion that the people who are most for free speech/markets/religion etc are the ones who will crack down on anything they don't like. Or to put it another way, they only want freedoms for themselves and no-one else.

frunk

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 10:30:19 AMI am neither right nor left = I'm very, very right wing, actually.

In the case of Trump and Musk I don't think either one is particularly right wing or left wing.  However they've found the right wing much easier to manipulate so they naturally gravitate that way.