Iceland moves towards joining the EU

Started by Zanza, July 16, 2009, 09:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

Okay, that explains my confusion. The Nice Treaty has been in force for six years already. By the way, there has been some kind of majority voting ever since the Treaty of Rome. They just added some more areas to it in the Lisbon Treaty and changed the voting mechanism a bit.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Armyknife on July 16, 2009, 10:14:20 AM
Sure let them in, only after they agree to properly share* their fishing grounds.

* EU sharing involves allowing 2nd/3rd rank members to devastate your fishing stocks. :cry:

you'll probably get exemptions on that.

The Larch

If Iceland does apply, they'll be in by 2012, together with Croatia.

The Larch

Quote from: Armyknife on July 16, 2009, 10:14:20 AM
Sure let them in, only after they agree to properly share* their fishing grounds.

* EU sharing involves allowing 2nd/3rd rank members to devastate your fishing stocks. :cry:

:rolleyes:

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2009, 10:45:27 AMWhat I don't get is how the elimination of Mediterranean tuna is not a bigger deal in supposedly eco friendly Europe.

It gets plenty of coverage, at least around here. IMO it's a bit exagerated and it's diverting attention from other issues, but it has to be adressed.

Why it's happening is actually quite simple, the Sicilian mafia is (fo' real!) behind its fishery, and quotas don't get in the way of their profits.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 11:37:55 AM
It gets plenty of coverage, at least around here. IMO it's a bit exagerated and it's diverting attention from other issues, but it has to be adressed.

Why it's happening is actually quite simple, the Sicilian mafia is (fo' real!) behind its fishery, and quotas don't get in the way of their profits.
What do you mean by the mafia is behind it?  The articles I've read say it is a cuppa two tree Spanish and French corporate fishing fleets (mostly Spanish).

clandestino

Quote from: Viking on July 16, 2009, 10:31:17 AM
D) We have to let Spanish and Portugese trawlers rape our fisheries. Eh, probably not, look at B).

We don't own a fishing fleet anymore, we buy the fish from the Spanish as everyone else.

Anyways, more cod is always good news. :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: clandestino on July 16, 2009, 11:54:46 AM
We don't own a fishing fleet anymore, we buy the fish from the Spanish as everyone else.

Portugal without fishermen?!

Wow that is like Sicily without Mafioso or France without wineries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 11:31:55 AM

Don't count on it.

Fucking Slovenes.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

I would imagine that the 'loot and plunder' EU would be happy for another biosphere to rape.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2009, 11:50:04 AM

What do you mean by the mafia is behind it?  The articles I've read say it is a cuppa two tree Spanish and French corporate fishing fleets (mostly Spanish).

The two fleets more responsible for the overfishing of Mediterranean bluefin tuna are the French one based in Marseilles and the Italian one based in Sicily. Both are directly or indirectly controlled by organized crime, and EU inspectors and environmental groups have been threatened recently when they were hitting too close to home.

The Larch

Quote from: Warspite on July 16, 2009, 12:14:01 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 11:31:55 AM

Don't count on it.

Fucking Slovenes.

What's the problem with Slovenia? The territorial waters thingie?

clandestino

Quote from: Warspite on July 16, 2009, 12:14:01 PM
Don't count on it.

Fucking Slovenes.

Why is Croatia claiming that coastal strip anyways? Don't they have enough coast and islands already?

(That's the story a Slovene sold me BTW).

@Valmy: When we entered the EU they were paying for the people to destroy their fishing boats, and since there are few things that Portuguese like the most then free money without working, we decimated the fleet and now buy from our Lords, the Spanish.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2009, 10:45:27 AMWhat I don't get is how the elimination of Mediterranean tuna is not a bigger deal in supposedly eco friendly Europe.

:rolleyes:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.