Polish racist, antisemitic homophobe snubbed in the EP, given tory leadership

Started by Martinus, July 16, 2009, 06:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 16, 2009, 09:57:06 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 16, 2009, 09:53:49 AM
Sounds like the Tories found a nasty bunch of new friends.

More importantly, this seems like a total marginalisation for them. Not only they left the strongest EP faction to form an irrelevant (5th in terms of numbers) club with some nasty thugs, they had to give up the leadership of the faction to one of them.
If one is a Eurosceptic, does one's position within the EP really matter?  Particularily if you still vote with the old group?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

More importantly, this seems like a total marginalisation for them. Not only they left the strongest EP faction to form an irrelevant (5th in terms of numbers) club with some nasty thugs, they had to give up the leadership of the faction to one of them.

There was a longish thread about this at the P'dox OT, with the input of several Brits, if you feel like reading it.

Siege

I can't believe people still use Paradox off topic.

That's so 2003.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Stonewall

Quote from: Martinus on July 16, 2009, 09:49:45 AM
Also, for those more visually inclined, the picture of the Tories' glorious leader in the EP:

Hello.  Newman.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Sheilbh

They don't care about Europe in the slightest, though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

More on Neil's hero:

QuoteRow over Tory link to Polish right grows
Toby Helm and Rajeev Syal
The Observer,    Sunday 26 July 2009
larger | smaller

Polish European deputy, Michal Kaminski at the plenary session in European Parliament, Strasbourg, 16 Sept 2004. Photograph: Gerard Cerles/AFP/Getty Images

The credibility of David Cameron's new alliance in the European parliament is cast into fresh doubt today as the Observer reveals damning new evidence about its Polish leader's past.

The allegations, which threaten to do serious damage to the Tory leader, centre on Michal Kaminski, a rightwinger chosen this month to chair the new and supposedly mainstream European Conservatives and Reformists group, of which the 25 Tory MEPs are members.

Opponents of Kaminski, 37, claim he has shown homophobic and antisemitic tendencies at odds with Cameron's vision of a new tolerant Tory party. In particular, they say Kaminski was active in efforts to block an apology by his countrymen in 2001 for the massacre of hundreds of Jews in Jedwabne in July 1941. He denies this.

Speaking to this paper Kaminski also insisted he had never given an interview to a far-right Polish journal, Nasza Polska, during which he allegedly said Poles should not apologise for the Jedwabne pogrom until the Jews said sorry for collaborating with the Soviets.

"I never did an interview," Kaminski insisted, adding that he "never tried to stop" an apology. But investigations by the Observer call those denials into doubt. Residents of Jedwabne at the time - backed by Polish journalists who covered the story - say Kaminski is misrepresenting his past role.

Footage of a television news bulletin from 5 March 2001 shows Kaminski reacting to news that the then President Aleksander Kwasniewski was to issue an apology and saying: "I think that Mr President can apologise but for other things. He should withhold apologies for Jedwabne." The editor in chief of Nasza Polska, Piotr Jakucki, confirmed that Kaminski gave the 2001 interview.

At that time Jedwabne was the focus of international press attention after an American professor, Jan T Gross, published a book, based on the accounts of local people, which concluded that Poles, with the help of some occupying Nazi troops, locked hundreds of Jews into a barn, and set it on fire. But many people in Jedwabne and other parts of Poland, including Kaminski, believed the whole of Poland was being unfairly blamed for an unproven crime.

Maria Kaczynska, then a journalist with Gazeta Wspolczesna, recalls Kaminski's role. "I remember all of this very vividly. I had to be in Jedwabne to write about him. I saw him in Jedwabne. He had a big folder and he pulled out a file, a petition calling on locals not to participate in apologies to the Jews."

Kaminski also flatly denies having been involved in attempts to set up a committee aimed at defending the people of Jedwabne. "I had no involvement with them," he said. However, Stanislaw Michalowski, the town council head at the time, said: "He was trying to set up a committee of Jedwabne defence but he failed." Rafal Pankowski, who edits Never Again, an anti-racist magazine, said it was "incredible and appalling that Kaminski can lead a group in the European parliament that pretends to be mainstream and tolerant".

In a letter in today's Observer Kaminski calls claims that he is antisemitic "distressing" and insists he has spent "a lifetime of work supporting Israel and the Jewish community in Poland".

"I have made it clear that the actions of some Poles in the Jedwabne massacre were horrific and criminal. The Polish people were also shattered by the Nazis. While we should share in commemoration I do not believe we should make the whole Polish nation culpable for the criminal acts of a small minority."

Glenys Kinnock, the Europe minister, said: "This is another example of David Cameron's inexperience and his willingness to leave Britain isolated. In the global downturn, it is more vital than ever that Britain remains at the heart of Europe. He needs to learn that he will not serve Britain's national interests by resorting to isolation and extremism."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jul/26/conservative-party-alliance-michal-kaminski/print

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2009, 06:10:04 PM
They don't care about Europe in the slightest, though.

It's one thing not to care, it's another to do something affirmatively stupid like form this new grouping.  If Europe doesn't matter than just stay in the EP and do nothing, or withdraw and do nothing.  But its obvious they cared enough to make it look like they were forming some new political grouping of significance, and the reality of it at best makes the Tories look rather silly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 09:14:26 AM
It's one thing not to care, it's another to do something affirmatively stupid like form this new grouping.  If Europe doesn't matter than just stay in the EP and do nothing, or withdraw and do nothing.  But its obvious they cared enough to make it look like they were forming some new political grouping of significance, and the reality of it at best makes the Tories look rather silly.
This is true.

What happened was that David Cameron was trying to prove his true blue credentials in the leadership election and said he'd withdraw from the Federalist EPP.  Since then it's taken 4 years, they've ended up with some unpleasant partners and the main party in the EPP now is Tusk's party that actually have a very similar position to the Tories on the EU.  I think an Anglo-Polish bloc within the EPP would have been far more useful. 

The Tories are odd in that they simultaneously think Europe is a nefarious centre of power desperately stealing British liberty and so below notice that there's no point learning the rules and actually trying to gain the power in Europe to stop their Stalinist super-state plan.  They're pathetic on the EU and I fear they'll only go more extreme.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

It kills Cameron's positioning as a new breed kind of Tory.  Makes him look weak, in thrall to the worst elements of the old Torys, and worst of all - lacking in basic judgment.

Hasn't the party learned anything from repeatedly going down in flames with the rabid eurosceptic wing in the drivers' seat?

QuoteThe Tories are odd in that they simultaneously think Europe is a nefarious centre of power desperately stealing British liberty and so below notice that there's no point learning the rules and actually trying to gain the power in Europe to stop their Stalinist super-state plan.  They're pathetic on the EU and I fear they'll only go more extreme.

The real truth is that putting aside the inevitable red tape and bureaucratic nonsense that comes with any large institution, what Europe is really about is the single market.  The EU was created in Thatcher's image, but she and her misguided progeny are rejecting it for not being 100% perfect.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson