News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

57% of East Germans are stupid

Started by Zanza, July 14, 2009, 03:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

They will be a Moslem country in 23 years anyway.  Best they get used to the notion that freedom is slavery.
PDH!

Habsburg

Kleves

This wouldn't happen under Hitler.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Darth Wagtaros

Charlemagne wouldn't have stood for this popycock that's for certain.
PDH!

Habsburg

The Queen of Hungary would kick their lazy bed-wetting commy arses!

Zoupa

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 14, 2009, 06:14:31 PM
We should have followed early plans of the Roosevelt Administration and crushed German resolve and industry once and for all.  A bunch of illiterate goatherds would be unable to formulate a love for anything beyond yesterday's lunch, and then only vaguely.

Morgenthau Plan, where have you gone?  :cry:

I blame Churchill.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on July 14, 2009, 05:45:17 PM
It happens over here as well. The phrase that defines these people is "That wouldn't happen under Franco".

Things like voting?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Alatriste

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2009, 09:49:11 PM
It happens over here as well. The phrase that defines these people is "That wouldn't happen under Franco".

Things like voting?

Who has ever heard of a dictatorship without votes? Spaniards voted regularly under Franco. Sure, there was only one political party and no freedom of press or speech, and the 'elected' 'parliament' was completely meaningless, but they voted.

No, the ones saying that are your average "law&order" conservatives or reactionaries. They miss the old times when there was no crime (supposedly), no corruption (yeah, sure), no gays or lesbians (where they could see them), no petty politicking (no free press to air the politicking, in fact), no demagogy (yeah, sure), no economic crisis (false, but they prefer to remember only the prosper 60s), no unemployment (sort of, because millions left for Germany or France and underemployment, state workers with little work to do and low pay, was very common), no foreign inmigrants (who would want to move to Franco's Spain? Spaniards were the ones migrating!) and young people were modest, clean, ordered and respectful (outwardly at least)

In short they miss the peace and quiet of the 'good old days' when nothing ever happened other than Real Madrid winning the Cup, while today you switch on TV and hear nothing but bad news... and I guess the same happens with those East Germans that miss the GDR.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2009, 03:26:42 PM
Hey Tamas and Marty is it like this in your countries also?

Only if the Stalinist regime incorporated catholic vice-and-virtue squads a'la "Handmaid's Tale" this time around, I bet. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2009, 09:49:11 PM

Things like voting?

Uhm, communism in Poland had elections, too. Hell, at some point we even had two parties. And voting turnout was great (95%+).  :P

Martinus

Anyway, this communist nostalgia is easily explainable by two things:
1. These people were young.
2. These people had social safety.

Though yes, I am surprised it's as many.

Josquius

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 14, 2009, 07:22:10 PM
They will be a Moslem country in 23 years anyway.  Best they get used to the notion that freedom is slavery.
Joke I hope?
██████
██████
██████

Alatriste

Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2009, 05:39:26 AM
Joke I hope?

Don't feed the troll... that's no halal  :P

KRonn

This is a bit surprising, but maybe not all that much. I guess one factor could be that some of the people feeling the GDR was ok lived there and feel that their lives and personal history would somehow be compromised by saying the GDR had more problems. As for the younger people and those who didn't live there, I'd guess that part of the idolizing could be due to the feeling that the government provided more for people which was good, even though it took so much away in the forms of personal freedoms, open society, and such. And as someone else mentioned, there are likely also those who feel the law and order of a strict society was good, and also that it kept out what they consider unpleasant attitudes and that open societies consider personal freedoms, the bad with the good.

Darth Wagtaros

I've been assurd by my ultra right wing friend that Germany will be a Moslem country in twenty odd years and will collapse, taking Western Europe, who have grown weak and indecisive, with them down to the chaos of Jihad.te author=Alatriste link=topic=1540.msg70997#msg70997 date=1247658526]
Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2009, 05:39:26 AM
Joke I hope?

Don't feed the troll... that's no halal  :P
[/quote]
PDH!