Iran after the election

Started by Hansmeister, July 14, 2009, 06:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Do those John Locke chicks put out?

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on July 14, 2009, 07:00:24 AM

Only if you start sweet talking them about the separation of church and state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Good talk Hans. I was especially struck by how out of touch the Iranian government is now, and has been. Examples being their claiming of plots by UK agents that Interpol is investigating; Mousavi being a CIA agent (wasn't he one of the early actors in the Islamic revolution?), and things like that. That government must have about zero credibility with so many Iranians, so that only the fanatics, hard liners and those with a vested interest in keeping the status quo will support, even though they may know it's all a sham. As you said, it's just another military dictatorship, this one trying to use religion as its cover but they can't really even use that anymore it would seem.

Hansmeister

Our PAO found out I gave this speech and freaked out.  He calmed down once I explained I was wearing civvies.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on July 14, 2009, 01:20:07 PMAs you said, it's just another military dictatorship, this one trying to use religion as its cover but they can't really even use that anymore it would seem.

Sure it can.

CountDeMoney

Just mention modern art, civil rights or folk music, and you're in like flint.

The Minsky Moment

Only if you mix your labor with them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2009, 05:23:35 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 14, 2009, 01:20:07 PMAs you said, it's just another military dictatorship, this one trying to use religion as its cover but they can't really even use that anymore it would seem.

Sure it can.
Sure they can, but they lose a lot of the people who were looking at a religious government quite differently. Some appear to maybe want more freedoms along with it which might be consistent with how they view religion, and even if not more freedoms, they don't buy into having a militant dictatorship using religion as it's bludgeon, perverting the religious aspects. Some of this all seems to be what many Iranians have been protesting about.