News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So...bitcoin

Started by Josephus, December 07, 2017, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

You could ban bubbles. Anyone who engages in bubbling could do 10-25.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I've been getting bombed with cryptocurrency marketing spam.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2017, 04:35:35 PM
I've been getting bombed with cryptocurrency marketing spam.

Your brokers know their suckers.

Admiral Yi

Every day is opposite day for the Seedybot.

CountDeMoney

Go fist yourself with your Invisible Hand, asshole.

Admiral Yi

Make some nonretarded posts UC.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/22/bitcoin-price-plunges-2000-12-hours-year-end-rally-fizzles-out

QuoteBitcoin went into freefall on Friday, its price collapsing from the dizzying heights of nearly $20,000 (£14,965) earlier this week to about $13,000 after its year-end rally appeared to run out of steam.

According to the CoinDesk exchange, the cryptocurrency was trading at $13,155, a fall of over 30% in five days.
Its price has fallen by more than $2,000 in 12 hours.

It came after a troubled week for bitcoin, in which a cryptocurrency exchange went bust in South Korea following a cyberattack, knocking its price.

Coinbase, another exchange based in the US, also said it was opening an investigation into sharp price increases.

Neil Wilson, a senior market analyst at ETX Capital, said: "Has the bubble finally popped? It's hard to see the bell tolling just yet. Large price swings have become so normal that it's hard to decide – we can easily see this market bounce back in very short order.

"Whilst there have been some hacks, public infighting in the mining community, lots of rumoured forks and regulatory pressure building on some fronts, this is likely to be a simple bout of risk-off selling as investors rebalance towards year-end.

"It looks like it's time to cash in the gains and spend the winnings on a bumper Christmas."

But it has not all been bad news for bitcoin this week.

The Chicago Mercantile Exchange launched its own bitcoin futures trading on Monday, following in the footsteps of the Chicago Board Options Exchange.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Temporary dip or the bursting of the bubble?

I think the creation of a futures market and this drop are not unrelated.  The ability to short a market should contribute to deflating bubbles, even though in the tulip mania futures seem to have exacerbated it.

crazy canuck

My son is pretty happy about the crash.  Apparently there has been an increase in the amount of miners (which drives down the amount he can mine) and those people will likely be driven out if the crash lasts any period of time before a recovery.  He can just keep ticking along because his investment in hardware was minimal.
I want you to panic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2019/jan/25/i-want-you-to-panic-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-issues-climate-warning-at-davos-video

"Woke" is now almost exclusively used by those who seek to deride it, those who chafe at the activism from which it sprang. Opponents to the idea are seeking to render it toxic. They use it to stand in for change itself, for evolution, for an accurate assessment of history and society that makes them uncomfortable and deflates their hagiographic view of American history.

Admiral Yi

Price ticking up! BUY BUY BUY!

Admiral Yi

And back down.  SELL SELL SELL

Sophie Scholl

If you dropped a bitcoin off the top of the New York Stock Exchange, would it kill someone's life savings?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 22, 2017, 03:00:37 PM
My son is pretty happy about the crash.  Apparently there has been an increase in the amount of miners (which drives down the amount he can mine) and those people will likely be driven out if the crash lasts any period of time before a recovery.  He can just keep ticking along because his investment in hardware was minimal.

Sounds like he's got those amateurs right where he wants them.

Tonitrus