News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So...bitcoin

Started by Josephus, December 07, 2017, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

You guys have any?

Friend of mine bought $3000 worth at the end September. He suggested I buy some too, but I'm far too old and conservative for that shit. He sold his lot yesterday for $6500.

What do you guys have to say bout it?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

if you're interested I have a bridge to sell you.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on December 07, 2017, 05:38:13 PM

I've already got one, thanks.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PRC

I've bought some in the past.  Wish i had bought much, much more in the early days.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on December 07, 2017, 05:39:32 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 07, 2017, 05:38:13 PM

I've already got one, thanks.

:P

If you have some cash lying around you could go ahead. But it's in fad status now, so don't know how much longer it'll keep making jumps. That and as far as I understand "mining" it is getting harder.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Sounds like the perfect little scam someone like Yi can make his beer money from.  And finance assholes can eventually crash the global economy with.

crazy canuck

I mentioned in one of my other threads that one of my sons has built a miner for one of the other currencies.  And I wish I had indulged his interest in Bit Coin about 6 years ago.....
I want you to panic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2019/jan/25/i-want-you-to-panic-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-issues-climate-warning-at-davos-video

"Woke" is now almost exclusively used by those who seek to deride it, those who chafe at the activism from which it sprang. Opponents to the idea are seeking to render it toxic. They use it to stand in for change itself, for evolution, for an accurate assessment of history and society that makes them uncomfortable and deflates their hagiographic view of American history.

Admiral Yi

My stalkers are the best stalkers.

Grinning_Colossus

I almost bought one for $500 back in 2013. Would have sold at $1,000, so I'd still be kicking myself right now... just slightly less.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

It can only do 7 transacations a second at it's theoretical maxium. It's useless for its "intended" purpose. (It's real purpose is fraud)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Ruined my fucking teeth.  :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grinning_Colossus

My favorite theory is that it was created by an intelligence agency as a means of tracking black market transactions.  :ph34r:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Jacob

I stay away from bubbles the dynamics of which I don't understand thoroughly. Perhaps I'm being needlessly conservative, but I tend to be suspicious of get rich quick schemes.

DGuller

I think there was just a lot of pent up demand for bitcoin.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 07, 2017, 05:52:40 PM
I mentioned in one of my other threads that one of my sons has built a miner for one of the other currencies.  And I wish I had indulged his interest in Bit Coin about 6 years ago.....
Problem is, how do you know when to get out?  It's easy to fantasize about getting in at $1 and getting out at $15,000, but how do you get yourself to exit the position at the right time?  It would be reasonable to get out at $100 after you get in at $1, you still won the lottery, but now you're kicking yourself because the guy who bought your bitcoins won an even bigger lottery.  It's all too easy for the first fools to also be among the last fools.