Oldest Bible now online

Started by Syt, July 12, 2009, 07:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.codex-sinaiticus.net/en/

Codex Sinaiticus: text, Bible, book

International conference, 6-7 July 2009 at the British Library
Codex Sinaiticus

Codex Sinaiticus is one of the most important books in the world. Handwritten well over 1600 years ago, the manuscript contains the Christian Bible in Greek, including the oldest complete copy of the New Testament. Its heavily corrected text is of outstanding importance for the history of the Bible and the manuscript – the oldest substantial book to survive Antiquity – is of supreme importance for the history of the book. [Find out more about Codex Sinaiticus.]
The Codex Sinaiticus Project

The Codex Sinaiticus Project is an international collaboration to reunite the entire manuscript in digital form and make it accessible to a global audience for the first time. Drawing on the expertise of leading scholars, conservators and curators, the Project gives everyone the opportunity to connect directly with this famous manuscript. [Find out more about the Codex Sinaiticus Project.]
The Codex Sinaiticus Website

This is the first release of the Codex Sinaiticus Project website. This website will be substantially updated in November 2008 and in July 2009, by when the website will have been fully developed. [Find out more about its current contents.]

Pretty cool. Unfortunately it's all Greek to me. :(

QuoteWhat is Codex Sinaiticus?

Codex Sinaiticus, a manuscript of the Christian Bible written in the middle of the fourth century, contains the earliest complete copy of the Christian New Testament. The hand-written text is in Greek. The New Testament appears in the original vernacular language (koine) and the Old Testament in the version, known as the Septuagint, that was adopted by early Greek-speaking Christians. In the Codex, the text of both the Septuagint and the New Testament has been heavily annotated by a series of early correctors.

The significance of Codex Sinaiticus for the reconstruction of the Christian Bible's original text, the history of the Bible and the history of Western book-making is immense.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I'd thought about posting this, however, the article I saw had a quote from one of the people involved saying that they new there was a lot of demand as their site kept crashing. When I tried to click to see the actually pages of the bible, I kept getting error messages.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

It seems to work fine now, at least for me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Scipio

The website is pretty well done, IMHO.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2009, 04:48:58 PM
Hey Syt, who's the redhead?

She's an officer from Star Trek TOS. The helmsman under captain Pike, IIRC. That pic is probably from The Menagerie.

:nerd:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

QuoteIts heavily corrected text

The literal unerrant word of God was corrected? :o
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

HisMajestyBOB

Everyone knows the One True Bible was written in American English.  :rolleyes:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2009, 12:31:50 AM
Learn to fucking read. Jeez.
You gotta remember that tribals don't have our cultural background.

"Your strange Trek-speak confuses and frightens me."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Good to see Gene Simmons thawed out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 13, 2009, 12:34:19 AM
Everyone knows the One True Bible was written in American English.  :rolleyes:

Reformed Egyptian, which only an american can translate, as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_Egyptian
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014