Equifax breach is the worst leak of personal info ever

Started by jimmy olsen, September 08, 2017, 06:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2017, 10:47:12 AM
• That doesn't mean this group of hackers was really responsible. Intelligence officials and security analysts in private industry said that while it is far too early to say definitively who breached Equifax, the leading theory is that the company was hit by a nation-state or hackers operating on a nation-state's behalf. They point to the sheer scale of theft, which most likely would have required a heightened degree of sophistication to pull off without being detected.

Other security experts said it would be smart to consider motivation and intent. "Are cybercriminals going to try and sell circa 150 million records in dark web auctions? That's nearly half the population of the United States," said Thomas Boyden, president of GRA Quantum, a company that specialized in cyberattack incident response. "Are there standard cybercriminals out there with the purchasing power for that type of data?"

:bleeding:

I am glad to see that we still haven't escaped pre-9/11 thinking, and levels of deduction, when it comes to intelligence analysis.

CountDeMoney

dps

If my personal financial data ever gets compromised, I'm sure that whoever steals it, be it terrorists, white-collar criminals, a foreign government, or just hackers doing it simply to be assholes, will get a good laugh.

DGuller

I guess I shouldn't be annoyed now that I never knew the correct answers to my personal history questions on Equifax when getting my free credit report.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 16, 2017, 04:06:28 PM
If my personal financial data ever gets compromised, I'm sure that whoever steals it, be it terrorists, white-collar criminals, a foreign government, or just hackers doing it simply to be assholes, will get a good laugh.

Yeah, whoever gets my financial identity, I wish them better luck with it than I had.   :lol:

viper37

Quote from: dps on September 16, 2017, 04:06:28 PM
They could use your identity to raise your credit card limit, go on spending spree and left you hanging for the bill before you even realize what has happenned.

In case of simple fraud, it's easy to claim damages to your credit card company (though there's a hidden cost to it), but if they stole your identity, it could be a nightmare to prove you didn't do it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on September 18, 2017, 10:39:32 AM
They could use your identity to raise your credit card limit, go on spending spree and left you hanging for the bill before you even realize what has happenned.

In case of simple fraud, it's easy to claim damages to your credit card company (though there's a hidden cost to it), but if they stole your identity, it could be a nightmare to prove you didn't do it.

Good on them if they can make that happen. I sure as hell haven't been able to. :lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...