The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

From the looks of it nobody outside Spain cares anymore. But nevertheless I think that would be a mistake. As we saw in this very thread about the only point they scored abroad was on the "we just want to vote and they won't let us" narrative. That comes crashing down if they forcibly tamper with elections.

celedhring

The same group that orchestrated the airport blockade has summoned people in downtown Barcelona the evening before the election. Catalan police fears they'll intend to occupy polling stations in the Barcelona area (which of course leans unionist  :rolleyes:), there are also some messaging coming from the CDR grapevine that they intend to do so.

We'll see. I agree that it'd be beyond idiotic from a PR perspective, but some parts of separatism are fully in "some people just want to see the world burn" phase.

The Brain

Has the Brexit crap had any impact on their wish to leave the EU?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on November 02, 2019, 05:11:01 AM
Has the Brexit crap had any impact on their wish to leave the EU?

"The EU isn't that great anyway".

The Brain

Josquius

Wait, they want to leave the EU?
I thought the whole idea was the same as with Scotland, to smoothly switch over to being an independent EU member.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2019, 06:00:42 PM
I thought the whole idea was the same as with Scotland, to smoothly switch over to being an independent EU member.

They don't want to leave the EU per se. Their running assumption while the process was still civil was that they'd transition to being an EU member but as an independent country. When things turned sour and they saw that by and large the EU kept itself away from the mess and didn't want to get involved into a member country's internal issues they started expressing in disbelief how could it be that the EU was not inserting itself as a mediator to get them independence, and now they're in kind of a "if this is what the EU is about we don't really want to be part of it anyway".

In any case, political realism has left the building a long time ago.

Josquius

That's sad. I did see a lot of brexiters quite oddly taking up the catalan independence cause (how dare the EU not interfere in member state affairs!) and using it as a stick de jure to attack Europe about.
Which is funny when you think of it considering the old Republican Spain associations that I believe still hold amongst catalan independence groups and the political leanings of Britain's shit.
But surprising the catalans themselves are also swallowing this line.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2019, 06:00:42 PM

If they leave Spain abruptly (which some of them appear to want) they automatically leave the EU.

merithyn

So... what are the chances this will all be right as rain by, say, December 9? :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

Quote from: merithyn on November 04, 2019, 11:38:33 AM
So... what are the chances this will all be right as rain by, say, December 9? :)

You should be fine, don't worry. I can't see anything happening by that date (protests are usually very reactive).

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2019, 01:52:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 04, 2019, 11:38:33 AM

You should be fine, don't worry. I can't see anything happening by that date (protests are usually very reactive).

I'll count on you to tell me where to avoid, should that become necessary. :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

Yeah for sure, but it will be fine. Nothing to protest against happening in those dates.

Duque de Bragança

celedhring

Dunno who told them that it was a better idea to set this up in the French side of the border, I guess they haven't been paying attention to the Gendarmerie exchanging pleasantries with the yellow vests for months. The French cops have even used tear gas.