The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

celedhring

Kicking it up a notch.

Tamas

This is right up there with Trump's letter.

Could somebody please shift us back to the normal timeline? Something clearly has gone seriously wrong somewhere, probably with the Great Hadron Collider.

Sheilbh

:lol: The influencer I don't great.

The rest of it I kind of do :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

The same radical group responsible for yesterday's riots has called for another protest this evening, they are theming it (yes, a themed riot) after the 1936 Olympics  :huh:

Grey Fox

Fitness mama is pretty hot.

Spaniards always holding their side of the bargain.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2019, 07:57:25 AM
The same radical group responsible for yesterday's riots has called for another protest this evening, they are theming it (yes, a themed riot) after the 1936 Olympics  :huh:

:huh:

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2019, 08:02:18 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2019, 07:57:25 AM

:huh:

Aha, it looks it's not the Berlin one, but this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Olympiad

Syt

How much is the Freddy Mercury/Montserrat Caballé song of the 1992 Olympics being played during the protests, if at all?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 17, 2019, 08:18:11 AM
How much is the Freddy Mercury/Montserrat Caballé song of the 1992 Olympics being played during the protests, if at all?

Damn, that would be awesome  :lol:

But no, it's boring political chants and the odd patriotic song.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

So, another night, another riot. A couple stores got sacked, fires, etc... This time we had the Spanish far-right joining the "fun", with a roving band of nazis moving around and picking off stragglers from the main separatist protest.

Most worrysome thing is that for the first time the Catalan police looked tired and overextended after all these days. There weren't as many rioters yesterday as in other nights, but they were able to move around and burn stuff quite easily. There's a general strike today, so violence is expected to rise in the evening. I presume they'll end up having to ask the Spanish police for help, and Madrid will happily oblige.

In the political arena, there's a burgeoning crisis in the Catalan government due to the riots, as the president is seen as being soft/not caring about them. He left a crisis meeting of the Catalan cabinet to join a protest march, which made his coalition partners (who are polling way ahead of the president's party and will use anything to try to provoke an election) furious. Later, the president made the surprise announcement in Parliament that he intended to hold another independence referendum this term (neverendum!), but not even his own MPs seemed to get behind the proposal. He's looking pretty isolated at this point.

chipwich

Quote from: celedhring on October 18, 2019, 02:00:48 AM
. I presume they'll end up having to ask the Spanish police for help, and Madrid will happily oblige.

If I were Madrid I'd say no. let them burn down their own city, especially if they are going to keep re-electing secessionists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: chipwich on October 18, 2019, 07:16:05 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 18, 2019, 02:00:48 AM
. I presume they'll end up having to ask the Spanish police for help, and Madrid will happily oblige.

If I were Madrid I'd say no. let them burn down their own city, especially if they are going to keep re-electing secessionists.

That's a good way to turn more people into secessionists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?