The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Manuel Valls (who's Barcelona-born) said today that he's willing to come and campaign against the separatists in the upcoming election.

We're fucked.  :(

Duque de Bragança

:lmfao:
Former French prime minister, in the late François Holland Era, for those who do not know him (yet).  :lol:

He jokingly mentioned Barça could play in the French league if Catalonia became independent.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 16, 2017, 11:44:53 AM
He jokingly mentioned Barça could play in the French league if Catalonia became independent.  :P

:lol:  :lol: :lol:

celedhring

Spain's Prosecutor General has died suddenly and unexpectedly (kidney infection).

We'll see who Madrid appoints. This can have a big effect on the cases against the fired Catalan government, since Maza - the deceased prosecutor - was a tough hardliner. Madrid had even insinuated that they'd rather like a more "sensitive" approach in the last weeks (which was largely unheeded by Maza). Spain's Prosecutor General is appointed by the government - with parliamentary assent -, but the government doesn't have any power over him past the appointment - neither can they fire him.

celedhring

The Foreign Ministry of Ecuador has released a public notice warning Julian Assange that as an asylee he's barred from acting against the national interests of Ecuador, and highlighting Ecuador's friendship with Spain and the support for its territorial integrity  :D

Assange has chosen the worst possible country to pick on, if he wants to remain holed up in London.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on November 18, 2017, 08:33:10 PM
Spain's Prosecutor General has died suddenly and unexpectedly (kidney infection).

We'll see who Madrid appoints. This can have a big effect on the cases against the fired Catalan government, since Maza - the deceased prosecutor - was a tough hardliner. Madrid had even insinuated that they'd rather like a more "sensitive" approach in the last weeks (which was largely unheeded by Maza). Spain's Prosecutor General is appointed by the government - with parliamentary assent -, but the government doesn't have any power over him past the appointment - neither can they fire him.

Did someone rid them of that pesky prosecutor?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2017, 03:43:30 PM
The Foreign Ministry of Ecuador has released a public notice warning Julian Assange that as an asylee he's barred from acting against the national interests of Ecuador, and highlighting Ecuador's friendship with Spain and the support for its territorial integrity  :D

Assange has chosen the worst possible country to pick on, if he wants to remain holed up in London.

Well maybe the Russians didn't ask him if he thought it was a good idea.

celedhring

Well, next week the Spanish Supreme Court will announce the veredict for the Catalan leaders that spearheaded the failed independence push of 2017 (except those who went abroad). It is widely expected that they won't be convicted for rebellion, but will probably get done for sedition (so roughly half what the prosecution was asking).

Separatists are trying to organize massive protests, aiming to get a Hong Kong scenario rolling. Attendance to marches and support for independence in polls has been falling steadily, and its pretty much at its lowest ebb since the whole push for independence began in 2012. So they kinda see the convictions as the last chance to do... something I guess. I presume we'll get some days of protests with the occasional mild riot (plus blocked roads/railways) but I'd be surprised if it really goes out of control. That said, a few weeks ago they arrested a bunch of radicals that were allegedly cooking explosives, so there's always the chance that some crazy idiot will seize the chance.

celedhring

The sentence came out today, 9-13 years, half what the prosecution was asking for.  The Guardian has an excellent writeup on the whole situation, past, present and questions going forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/14/catalan-separatist-leaders-given-lengthy-prison-sentences

We've had mild protests so far today. A few blocked roads, but nothing major. Underground groups called for shutting down the Barcelona airport but the turnout so far seems small and the police has it under control. We'll see how the day develops. Most people are still at work, and Catalan protestors tend to reconcile protesting with their jobs, so it could escalate in the afternoon.

Rex Francorum

What a banana republic (well, it is not a republic) Spain is...
And I don't mean to be against Catalonia's independance, but to imprison the leaders.
To rent

Sheilbh

Quote from: Rex Francorum on October 14, 2019, 06:37:35 PM
What a banana republic (well, it is not a republic) Spain is...
And I don't mean to be against Catalonia's independance, but to imprison the leaders.
Agreed. It's extraordinary and wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Why is it wrong? They're seditionists who called for illegal actions against the state. I mean you can argue against the length of time, I guess, but I wouldnt go so far as to call it wrong.

*edit* reading the article, they also got convicted of misappropriating government funds
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

Admiral Yi

The sentences do seem overly long for what was essentially an exercise in political theater.  A peaceful one.

Valmy

Well I don't know the full extent of the charges but generally I am not all that excited about making political martyrs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."