The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2017, 02:17:38 PM
I am quite shocked at the diversity of those who voted for independence.
The Catalan I work with (previously based here, now in Barcelona, comes back often for work stuff) says he went out to vote for independence with his 7 months pregnant wife.
You'd think a guy with such a comfortable settled situation as him would tend towards the conservative on such an issue as this.
Would love to see some proper studies on who supported which side.

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 09, 2017, 04:19:20 PM
Worst separatist rebellion ever.

:lol:

It's a wealthy people nationalism. Support is actually higher among those well-off.

Josquius

Aren't the lower earners more likely to be migrant workers from the south with the higher earners more likely to be locals though?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2017, 02:32:01 PM
Aren't the lower earners more likely to be migrant workers from the south with the higher earners more likely to be locals though?

Yes, but this pattern is also reproduced within those cohorts. Just that locals have a higher baseline of support.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 09, 2017, 04:19:20 PM
Worst separatist rebellion ever.

Were all of those millions on the streets little more than the political equivalent of a flash mob?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

This graph can be hard to read if you don't know Spanish, and it comes with many "buts" (survey was way too small to give reliable numbers for so many cohorts), but here it goes.

The further down the graphic, the more dirty Spanish blood in the cohort's veins (I'm in the second tier of purity :menace:). From left to right, household income.

Catalan purebloods are overwhelmingly in favor of independence, but it also increases as income increases, same with the muggles. So support is highest among wealthy Catalan purebloods and weakest among "poor" immigrants or sons of immigrants.

Most of the Catalan population lies in the middle cohorts (both sides of the two "gaps" that cross the graphic).

Admiral Yi

Que es esta cosa que lama "CCAA" capitan Kirko?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2017, 03:07:56 PM

Comunidades Autónomas - our regions. That cohort is for people born in another Spanish region.

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2017, 03:07:56 PM

In Spanish plural in an acronym is noted with 2 letters instead of one. So:

CCAA: Comunidades autónomas.
EEUU: Estados Unidos (de América).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on November 11, 2017, 04:47:35 AM
In Spanish plural in an acronym is noted with 2 letters instead of one. So:

CCAA: Comunidades autónomas.
EEUU: Estados Unidos (de América).

Ya lo sabia! :smarty:

celedhring

Separatist NGOs are trying to organize a large protest in Brussels on December 7th.

Belgians will love us by now, surely.

Valmy

I don't get this appealing to the international community stuff. They don't even have the majority in Catalonia behind them. If they want our support they need to secure that at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

The US is not going to be taken advantage of anymore. This Catalan carnage ends now.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2017, 04:44:04 PM
I don't get this appealing to the international community stuff. They don't even have the majority in Catalonia behind them. If they want our support they need to secure that at least.

Been telling them for 5 years now. You're welcome to try.

They see the December election as a chance to finally secure a 50%+1 majority (they won't) and thus have the world force Spain into granting Catalonia independence or whatever. Thing is, they are spending a total fat ZERO time trying to convince the rest of us. It drives me nuts. They spend all the time talking about how "evil, violent and repressive" Spain is, how the world should be helping them, but they aren't even looking at Catalonia itself, at the rest of us. 

Admiral Yi

If international intervention is the preferred mechanism for achieving independence, you really need peaceful protesters being mowed down by evil cops and women being gang-raped by street gangs of berserk Castillians.  A couple grannies roughed up at illegal polling places is not going to do the trick.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2017, 04:47:54 PM
The US is not going to be taken advantage of anymore. This Catalan carnage ends now.

HOTT
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive