The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2017, 09:56:07 AM
I work for a Barcelona company, but they have a branch in Madrid - branch that they have been beefing up "just in case". If shit truly hits the fan the plan is to move there. But that doesn't change the fact that I would be leaving all my friends and family because of idiotic politics.

My gf works here in Barcelona for a well-known multinational. The idea was for me to join her eventually.

I could ask for a transfer to the local plant. I could become part of the "core" teams (you travel a lot but Barcelona is ideal as a base of operations since it has flights everywhere). Or I could look for another employer in an area with lots of automotive manufacturing.

I'm starting to suspect there won't be any automotive manufacturing left in 10 years though ...

celedhring

The "government in exile" have turned themselves in to the Belgian police, after Spain issued an international arrest order. Apparently the actual extradition process can now take up to 90 days. They are trying to get a Flemish judge to oversee the process, which I guess they see as potentially more favorable to a nationalist cause.

CountDeMoney

Good grief.  Al Gore put up a bigger fight.

Iormlund

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2017, 12:03:10 PM
Good grief.  Al Gore put up a bigger fight.

It's a PR thing. Being seen in cuffs, being arrested by the Belgian po-po, might not sit well with the crowd at home that somehow still believe the world is going to force Spain to grant them nationhood.

celedhring

Catalan ex-president sets up a small rally in Brussels with 200 separatist mayors

1) Spends half the rally railing against the EU for not helping their cause.
2) Ends up asking the EU to help their cause.

Not sure how that's gonna work  :hmm:

Kleves

At least you guys skipped tragedy and went straight to farce.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josquius

The EU situation is very strange.
Did they actually expect the EU would interfere in this and magically make their referendum valid?
Are they pro-EU and wanting their support or is this actually some sort of anti-EU move?
Certainly they seem to have found themselves unusual support amongst the far right in the UK for their ranting about the EU.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 07, 2017, 05:00:51 PM
The EU situation is very strange.
Did they actually expect the EU would interfere in this and magically make their referendum valid?
Are they pro-EU and wanting their support or is this actually some sort of anti-EU move?
Certainly they seem to have found themselves unusual support amongst the far right in the UK for their ranting about the EU.

I don't know what their endgame was, nobody was ever going to recognize an UDI. That's the kool-aid they sold to their voters, though, who drunk it happily and profusely.

Honestly, I think this has been a July Crisis affair. Both sides expected that the other would blink and back down before reaching a clusterfuck of the proportions we're having. None did. The separatists, however, thought themselves to be Germany or France, but instead they were A-H.

Admiral Yi

The separatists should ask for a mulligan.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2017, 06:11:50 PM
The separatists should ask for a mulligan.

That's how they are treating the December election.

Iormlund

They seem to be trying their best to annoy as many voters as possible today.  :wacko:

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on November 08, 2017, 05:03:14 AM
They seem to be trying their best to annoy as many voters as possible today.  :wacko:

I don't get this either. I still don' t see the 1) Annoy as many Catalans as possible 2) ???????? 3) Independence! train of thought.

Anyway, most stuff around me is open, so the strike itself seems to be a failure, but people are having a hard time getting to their jobs because of all the roads and railways being blocked by the separatists.

The general strike of a month ago was relatively successful, but this one will turn against themselves imho. It has very little backing from the general population.

Archy

Can you please take these guys from here now  <_<

Belgian govt needed to clarify it's position over the Catalonian question in parliament on request of the opposition.
Official position is, it's an internal Spanish matter and Belgium won't take the side of Spain or the side of Catalonia.
Meanwhile Puigmont thanked his friends form the N-VA (the separatist party in Belgian govt).

Iormlund

Come on, where's your sense of camaraderie? You've only had them for like a week.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Archy on November 08, 2017, 06:40:45 AM
Can you please take these guys from here now  <_<

Belgian govt needed to clarify it's position over the Catalonian question in parliament on request of the opposition.
Official position is, it's an internal Spanish matter and Belgium won't take the side of Spain or the side of Catalonia.
Meanwhile Puigmont thanked his friends form the N-VA (the separatist party in Belgian govt).

Nope, find somebody else. They're the political equivalent of the videotape from "The Ring".