The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Archy on October 30, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
As long as Philip doesn't send the Duke of Alva over here I'm happy.  ;)

The current one is not really very imposing.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Iormlund on October 30, 2017, 04:18:09 PM
Apparently Puigdemont has retained the services of a lawyer that managed to stop the extradition process of a former ETA terrorist.

Better at choosing lawyers than at seceding?

Maladict

Quote from: Archy on October 30, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
As long as Philip doesn't send the Duke of Alva over here I'm happy.  ;)

What about the duke of Parma? He is Charles V  :ph34r:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Carlos,_Duke_of_Parma

celedhring

Puigdemont to give a press conference in Brussels at 12.30. Rumors are all over the place, but I guess the separatist play here is try to create a Government in Exile to keep separatists mobilized until the December election.

Archy

Our prime minister issued a prohibitionto talk with Puigdemont to the Flemish seperatists in his government.  :D
He's indeed a bit nervous.

Solmyr

Valmy

The Habsburgs lost their lip at some point. I guess when the fall of Spanish Habsburgs meant they no longer had to keep marrying their first cousins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2017, 04:52:19 AM
Puigdemont to give a press conference in Brussels at 12.30. Rumors are all over the place, but I guess the separatist play here is try to create a Government in Exile to keep separatists mobilized until the December election.

Well at least it is from Bussels and not Moscow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Well he didn't say anything noteworthy. Doesn't believe he'll get a fair trial in Spain, will remain in Brussels until he feels there's guarantees in place. He wants to draw attention of the European Union to Spain's "abuses" and the Catalan conflict. Tiresome.

First polls are giving separatists 43-46% in the upcoming regional vote - which is in line with what they've been getting since 2012, and that's what they'll get in December. We can keep this charade until the end of times, further rubbishing Catalonia's social and economic future, or we can try to get some kind of arrangement, a legal one.

celedhring

Spanish Supreme Court and the Audiencia Nacional summon the deposed Catalan Government and the Bureau of Parliament to answer the charges of rebellion/sedition this thursday and friday. Those will be two "fun" days...

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2017, 10:58:22 AM
Well he didn't say anything noteworthy. Doesn't believe he'll get a fair trial in Spain, will remain in Brussels until he feels there's guarantees in place. He wants to draw attention of the European Union to Spain's "abuses" and the Catalan conflict. Tiresome.

First polls are giving separatists 43-46% in the upcoming regional vote - which is in line with what they've been getting since 2012, and that's what they'll get in December. We can keep this charade until the end of times, further rubbishing Catalonia's social and economic future, or we can try to get some kind of arrangement, a legal one.

If they want to separate because they're a wealthy region than an economic downfall as more companies leave while temper the separatist feelings. I mean if I still had a multination company in Catalonia I'd be moving out as fast as I can.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2017, 12:44:00 PM

If they want to separate because they're a wealthy region than an economic downfall as more companies leave while temper the separatist feelings. I mean if I still had a multination company in Catalonia I'd be moving out as fast as I can.

Oh, 6 out of the 7 largest companies headquartered in Barcelona have already made the switch. And hundreds of smaller ones.

HVC

are they just moving headquarters or are they pulling out production and jobs too?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2017, 12:46:57 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2017, 12:44:00 PM

Oh, 6 out of the 7 largest companies headquartered in Barcelona have already made the switch. And hundreds of smaller ones.

Is it likely they'll either be able to switch back or start switching back if the separatism movement collapses in the next weeks?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2017, 12:48:05 PM
are they just moving headquarters or are they pulling out production and jobs too?

Just HQs. Moving the actual production isn't something that you do in such short notice, and probably won't happen unless independence becomes a real possiblity. But investment freeze is another matter, and it's happening.

Quote from: Habbaku on October 31, 2017, 12:50:04 PM
Is it likely they'll either be able to switch back or start switching back if the separatism movement collapses in the next weeks?

Some probably will. But others won't. We will emerge of this with noticeable economic damage, no two ways about it. We've become an unreliable destination for investment