The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 30, 2017, 09:43:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2017, 09:08:40 AM
So it looks like that the Catalan ex-president and 5 of his cabinet are indeed trying to get political asylum in Belgium. Hilarious. Can they really avoid extradition to another EU nation? Are the belgians really willing to get embroiled in this mess?

Apparently Belgian law allows for extradition requests to be contested in regular courts, it is being speculated that that's what they're aiming for.

In any case if I was an independentist voter in Catalonia I would feel so inmensely betrayed by now.

Government in exile! VIVE LA RESISTANCE!

It's so fucking ridiculous. I wish I didn't live here so I could laugh at it all.

Barrister

If you deeply believe in Catalan independence you dare the authorities to prosecute you.  You make your trial a showcase on how oppressive Spain is.  Hell maybe you go on a hunger strike while in jail.  That's the kind of shit that just might win independence for your country.

Running away to Belgium makes you look like an opportunist.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I wonder what the other guys charged with rebellion that stayed behind are thinking now. Or the two guys already in jail.

For starters Puigdemont has made the case for the prosecution re: preventive imprisonment much easier given the accredited flight risk.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on October 30, 2017, 09:43:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2017, 09:08:40 AM
So it looks like that the Catalan ex-president and 5 of his cabinet are indeed trying to get political asylum in Belgium. Hilarious. Can they really avoid extradition to another EU nation? Are the belgians really willing to get embroiled in this mess?

Apparently Belgian law allows for extradition requests to be contested in regular courts, it is being speculated that that's what they're aiming for.

In any case if I was an independentist voter in Catalonia I would feel so inmensely betrayed by now.

Belgium counts as part of the Frankish kingdom (Tournais was the first capital after all) so it's good with "we're not Hispanian! vibe".

:P

The Minsky Moment

Oh hell no.  Merovingian revivalism must be nipped in the bud. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

Gotta say I have props for Rajoy, he just outright refused to let them secede, reject their referendum and etc. I wish more Western countries would stand up thusly to separatists.

Archy

And the farce comes over here :lol:
I think Spain-Belgium will detoriate a bit.
I think our francophone classical liberal prime Minister is not amused by his coalition partner.

Solmyr

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on October 30, 2017, 02:18:39 PM
Where's Charles V when you need him.

We still keep these around for parades  :lol:

Zanza

I am in Madrid at the moment and there is a noticeable amount of Spanish flags on balconies etc. I wonder if this is a reaction to the current crisis.

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on October 30, 2017, 03:02:06 PM
I am in Madrid at the moment and there is a noticeable amount of Spanish flags on balconies etc. I wonder if this is a reaction to the current crisis.

It is.

Archy

As long as Philip doesn't send the Duke of Alva over here I'm happy.  ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 30, 2017, 01:34:37 PM
Gotta say I have props for Rajoy, he just outright refused to let them secede, reject their referendum and etc. I wish more Western countries would stand up thusly to separatists.

And do it the tactful way:  with prosecutors.

Iormlund

Apparently Puigdemont has retained the services of a lawyer that managed to stop the extradition process of a former ETA terrorist.