The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on October 29, 2017, 05:58:50 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2017, 05:37:39 PM
Don't think that strike can be counted as an act of rebellion though. It was legally convened.

But yeah, the whole UDI has been so low-profile that it smacks of trying to avoid the full weight of the law. The fact the Catalan government hasn't even attempted to issue a single decree is telling. Using the state apparatus - and its implicit coercive force - to prop up the rebellion counts as violent rebellion too.

Probably jailing the leaders of the separatist NGOs for sedition was a wake up call for separatists. Madrid wasn't going to fool around this time.

The strike itself was technically illegal. Politics are specifically excluded from the list of reasons to call for one. Plus, I doubt blocking highways is part of any legal strike.

And yeah, I think the biggest factors here were the quick collapse of Catalonia's economic framework and the hearings in the Audiencia. Trapero himself looked thoroughly defeated after the ordeal.

Road blockings are illegal, but happen in every single strike and the organizers aren't charged with rebellion. Technically the strike was convened to protest for economic reasons - it was a lie of course, it was a political strike, but I can't find the angle where you could consider it an act of rebellion.

Iormlund

Rebellion necessitates that violence happens as a result. Any violence. I'm not a lawyer, but I would guess that if roads are forcefully blocked during an illegal strike that you organized as part of the process, it should definitely count.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on October 29, 2017, 06:09:22 PM
Rebellion necessitates that violence happens as a result. Any violence. I'm not a lawyer, but I would guess that if roads are forcefully blocked during an illegal strike that you organized as part of the process, it should definitely count.

They got all major trade unions to back the strike. I'm not a lawyer either but I'm not sure how considering that strike part of a rebellion is going to fly in court.

At the end of the day, it was just a protest. No material objective was achieved - unlike, say, celebrating the referendum or approving the provisional Catalan constitution.

Archy

Our federal asylum secretary noted this weekend that puigmont can apply for asylum in Belgium. Our prime Minister and Spanish PP weren't amused. So silly how this influences Belgian politics also for some cheap points scoring.

celedhring

No incidents so far in the take over. Some members of the government went and took their personal belongings and left, saying that they don't consider themselves dismissed but acting very much like they are. The Head of the Catalan Parliament says that only the Catalan President can dissolve it, but then revokes all sessions this week, tacitly admitting its dissolution.

The separatist camp has also stopped talking about boycotting the election, either. They will probably say this is another "plebiscite" to "confirm" the UDI and continue the charade. After some scary days, this is finally turning into farce.

celedhring

Spain's Prosecutor General presents rebellion charges against the former Catalan government and the Bureau of the Parliament. It leaves the door open to a downgrade to sedition (half the prison time), but that's going to be up to the judge.

celedhring

Quote from: Archy on October 30, 2017, 01:21:22 AM
Our federal asylum secretary noted this weekend that puigmont can apply for asylum in Belgium. Our prime Minister and Spanish PP weren't amused. So silly how this influences Belgian politics also for some cheap points scoring.

Puigdemont has travelled to Belgium to meet the Flemish nationalists in the Belgian government  :lol:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Meanwhile, the two largest separatist parties confirm they will participate in the December election, to "validate the Republic".

HVC

So what happens if the separatists win the election?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on October 30, 2017, 08:15:46 AM
So what happens if the separatists win the election?

They get to run the regional government, doing all the things the regional government can do. It's highly unlikely they'll get over 50% of the vote anyway (nationalist parties have never broke that ceiling in past 15 years or so), but they benefit from the current electoral law and the division between the unionist parties.

HVC

So they won't take this as a mandate and start the stupid roller coaster all over again?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on October 30, 2017, 08:36:18 AM
So they won't take this as a mandate and start the stupid roller coaster all over again?

Recent polling is not good to them. The situation is so fluid and chaotic that things can change, of course, but I don't think a "Let's make another UDI! This time for realsies!" separatist platform has any chance to get 50% of the vote and thus claim that mandate. Their moderates are running for the hills.

We'll see in the next hours/days if the moderates are able to coalesce into a solid platform.

celedhring

So it looks like that the Catalan ex-president and 5 of his cabinet are indeed trying to get political asylum in Belgium. Hilarious. Can they really avoid extradition to another EU nation? Are the belgians really willing to get embroiled in this mess?

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2017, 09:08:40 AM
So it looks like that the Catalan ex-president and 5 of his cabinet are indeed trying to get political asylum in Belgium. Hilarious. Can they really avoid extradition to another EU nation? Are the belgians really willing to get embroiled in this mess?

Apparently Belgian law allows for extradition requests to be contested in regular courts, it is being speculated that that's what they're aiming for.

In any case if I was an independentist voter in Catalonia I would feel so inmensely betrayed by now.