The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

So....are we talking actual prison terms for the Catalan government here?
██████
██████
██████

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2017, 02:50:15 PM

Yep.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on October 27, 2017, 02:46:52 PM
Also, and at the behest of the two biggest Catalonian banks, every major bank in Spain signed an agreement last week vowing not to forward any revenue to a hypothetical Catalonian government.

Well, that is it then isn't it.  No internal funding, no external funding - what plan do the separatists have? 

CountDeMoney

What does King Felipe say about all this? Is he calling up the troops?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2017, 02:52:14 PM
Also, and at the behest of the two biggest Catalonian banks, every major bank in Spain signed an agreement last week vowing not to forward any revenue to a hypothetical Catalonian government.

Well, that is it then isn't it.  No internal funding, no external funding - what plan do the separatists have?

I'm sure there's some Russian banks that would be happy to lend... :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

The CBC is reporting that the prosecutorial office in Madrid is preparing to bring a number of charges of treason.

Iormlund

Yes.

Rumor has it that what tipped the balance yesterday was that Puigdemont could not get Rajoy to guarantee that he would have immunity from prosecution.

mongers

Blood, broken-bones and bodies in the streets to sanctify the revolution.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2017, 02:53:52 PM

The CBC is reporting that the prosecutorial office in Madrid is preparing to bring a number of charges of treason.

Rebellion. Treason has to involve a foreign country and is judged by military tribunal, IIRC

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2017, 02:44:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 27, 2017, 02:34:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2017, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 27, 2017, 02:04:20 PM
Interesting.

Is there some reason you are arguing that we should ignore the wishes of the non-white population when it comes to determining the legitimacy of a secession movement on the basis of the opinions of the people who live in the areas in question?

Is there some reason that you are ignoring what I said about slavery?

Quote from: Barrister
The only real moral ground for fighting the south was the argument that slavery was immoral (and that the slaves had no voice in whether or not to secede), but that of course was not the ground that Lincoln originally claimed in the war.

That isn't relevant to your claim that the North had no legitimate grounds to use violence against the south, because the south had popular support.

I don't think there was overwhelming popular support at all (which is the part I am criticizing), unless for some bizarre reason you decide that the opinion of blacks don't count. Can you at least conceded that maybe 3 out 5 could count?

Under the system of slavery as it existed at the time, the opinion of slaves did not count.  They were property, not people.

We are talking about the concept of legitimacy, which is not a legal concept at all, essentially by definition. A system where some portion of the people deny basic rights to another portion of the people, and then claim legitimacy on the basis of "democracy" is the very definition of a *illegitimate* democartic system.

The Union would have had every legitimacy in the world if it said "it is monstrous to hold human beings as property.  They should be given their full voice, and we're prepared to go to war to see this happen."

I actually think that is basically what happened. It was not that direct of course, but the South seceeded BECAUSE a large enough portion of the greater population had said essentially that abolition was coming. Allvia the democratic process, and all while that same process denied the rights of people who would have a rather vested interest in the question the right to express their opinion.

Indeed, it was actually worse than that, since the system in place actually made it so that to the extent they WERE counted, they were counted in a manner that gave their 60% voice to the very people who used it to try to keep them enslaved.

And *despite* all that, the writing for slavery was still on the wall. The south seceeded because they could read that writing as well as anyone else.

It was always about slavery, start to finish.

And the North went to war to preserve the very Union that had just basically said "Yeah, slavery is going to end at some point, and certainly will not be allowed to spread further".

But that's not how it started.  Lincoln's casus belli was to "preserve the union", but it seemed pretty clear that the majority of the south the majority of voters supported secession.

...because they wanted to own slaves.

Lincoln's cassus belli was to perserve a Union that had just made it clear that slavery was not going to be tolerated forever. You cannot separate those things.

Look this isn't meant as some criticism - you guys got there in the end.  But viewing what is going on in Spain through the lens of the Civil War is somewhat flawed, because "preserving the union" isn't, by itself, a very good basis to deny independence to a region.

Preserving the union is a damn good reason when the only reason the union needs to be preserved at all is because some people have realized that chattel slavery cannot survive within it.
And I'm pretty sure I never used the word "overwhelming".  If I did, and that is the word you are objecting to, I cheerfully withdraw it.

My point is simply that there was no real "popular support" for secession unless you take the rather bizarre position that black people ought not to be considered in that calculus for what is considered popular support.

I've always thought that was an odd position to take - that if you enslave people, and then ask the non-slaves what they think about that, why would you fucking care what they think?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

The company I consult with is noticing an uptick in debit/credit card declines in Catalonia.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on October 27, 2017, 02:55:45 PM

Blood, broken-bones and bodies in the streets to sanctify the revolution.

Based on Iormlund's other post - more like a sacrifice to a vain attempt by one man to avoid the consequences of his actions. 

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2017, 02:53:52 PM

Rebellion charges. 30 years in the slammer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 27, 2017, 02:57:16 PM
The company I consult with is noticing an uptick in debit/credit card declines in Catalonia.

www.kkkshop.com

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on October 27, 2017, 02:57:16 PM

Can you ellaborate? Like today or for the past weeks, or...? Is it a large uptick?