The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

What's their logic there?
Isn't it better if they stay in their jobs and go on behaving like a part of Spain?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2017, 05:30:25 AM
What's their logic there?
Isn't it better if they stay in their jobs and go on behaving like a part of Spain?

The radical separatist strategy right now is pretty much turning Catalonia into Spain's Vietnam and force international intervention. It is pure madness.

celedhring

Separatist NGOs calling for mass mobilization in front of the Catalan Parliament this Friday to "Protect the Republic"

Off to the bunker I go!

Archy

Such a pity, this is off course also closely followed in the Belgian press.
It could become a bit uncomfortable here for the moderate seperatists over here as well.
They support Catalan independence and are part of Belgian federal government, but the Belgian govt as part of the EU no way will recognize Catalan independence.
Curious how they're going to try to get out of this one.

celedhring

Well, in a massive about face, it looks like the Catalan President is going to call for a regional election in exchange of freezing the intervention of the regional government. He's about to give a press conference. And looking at the anger from the radical separatist camp, it looks like it's true.

That would be massively good news. Please please be true.

CountDeMoney

Elections, protests...don't any of you people have jobs?  I mean, even by European standards?

celedhring

Catalan President's conference has been cancelled and he's set to appear before Parliament now. FFS this is killing me. I hope he doesn't do an about face of his about face.

The radical separatists are going ballistic, meanwhile, with the "treason!" chants. There's some spontaneous demos in front of the moderate separatist party HQ - with riot police deployed to protect it - and the seat of the Catalan Government. The revolution always devours its children.

Josquius

How long will the presidents negotiations go on?
Hope there's some clear roadmap in the next few weeks.

On the bright side... Hey. Got to improve (decrease) property prices.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on October 26, 2017, 09:29:51 AM
How long will the presidents negotiations go on?
Hope there's some clear roadmap in the next few weeks.

On the bright side... Hey. Got to improve (decrease) property prices.

He'll appear in half an hour, he's kept postponing his declaration the whole day. No one knows what he's going to say. It's confirmed this morning he was set to call an election, but since he's been procastrinating the announcement everybody now fears he's been swayed to the UDI side, given the massive opposition of the separatist parties and NGOs to an election.

A legal regional election would be the best possible outcome at this moment. Please, make it happen.

celedhring

Catalan President says he's not got enough guarantees from Madrid that the autonomy wouldn't be intervened (Madrid just said it would be "flexible") and so he's not calling for elections and instead defers to Parliament. So UDI it is, tomorrow after lunch time civil war starts in Catalonia.

We'll see what the Spanish Gov has to say.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Drakken

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2017, 10:10:43 AM
Catalan President says he's not got enough guarantees from Madrid that the autonomy wouldn't be intervened (Madrid just said it would be "flexible") and so he's not calling for elections and instead defers to Parliament. So UDI it is, tomorrow after lunch time civil war starts in Catalonia.

Jesus H. Christ. They really want Spain to go all-the-way and claim victimhood for posterity's sake, i.e. the Irish way.

celedhring

Quote from: Drakken on October 26, 2017, 10:33:22 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2017, 10:10:43 AM

Jesus H. Christ. They really want Spain to go all-the-way and claim victimhood for posterity's sake, i.e. the Irish way.

That's pretty much it. My only hope is that people are so tired about the whole thing that open street conflict remains relatively small-scale/short-lived.

Tomorrow we'll see how many Catalan MPs want to sign up for rebellion charges, too.

Drakken

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2017, 10:45:21 AM

That's pretty much it. My only hope is that people are so tired about the whole thing that open street conflict remains relatively small-scale/short-lived.

Tomorrow we'll see how many Catalan MPs want to sign up for rebellion charges, too.

If Madrid even allows that. Now the gloves are off.

Does Article 155 suspends parliamentary immunity as well?

If I were the cute hot leader of the Opposition and her caucus, I would make a very symbolic and high-profile gesture to rally opponents (and moderates) now. Something like a big declaration, announcing that they are loyal to the King and to the Spanish state and they leave this illegal, illegitimate Catalan parliament which is adamantly trying to throw Catalonia into chaos, but that she understands the popular want for autonomy and that she is willing to open discussions with the Central government when this is all over. They will need more "rational" interlocutors to save whatever remains to be saved after Puidgemont and his cronies are dealt with.

Parliamentarism is now out of the window. Puidgement is entering civil war territory. They must ensure that the least people possible are hurt - while making sure to take a stand to rally opposition. They also need to show Madrid that they are taking no part in this mockery. Staying in Parliament after an UDI, even as (Dis)loyal Opposition, helps to legitimize the whole thing.