The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

So, today's Spain's National Day, and there was an Unionist demo in Barcelona. Our Minority Leader was present.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2017, 02:16:09 PM
So, today's Spain's National Day, and there was an Unionist demo in Barcelona. Our Minority Leader was present.

I'm convinced.  Catalonia should definately remain part of Spain.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Radical separatists putting pressure on the Catalan President to rebuke Madrid's advances and un-suspend the DUI. Several public letters were issued yesterday and today by separatist NGOs and the far-left separatist party demanding it.

Madrid has given a deadline until next Monday for the regional government to clarify whether a DUI was issued this Tuesday (none was formally issued in Parliament, but separatist MPs signed one in an adjacent room), and retract it if affirmatively, while offering Constitutional reform. If the Catalan Government goes for glory, Catalan autonomy will be intervened and this place becomes the Sunny Ulster.

I hope sanity wins out.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2017, 02:31:44 AM
Radical separatists putting pressure on the Catalan President to rebuke Madrid's advances and un-suspend the DUI. Several public letters were issued yesterday and today by separatist NGOs and the far-left separatist party demanding it.

Madrid has given a deadline until next Monday for the regional government to clarify whether a DUI was issued this Tuesday (none was formally issued in Parliament, but separatist MPs signed one in an adjacent room), and retract it if affirmatively, while offering Constitutional reform. If the Catalan Government goes for glory, Catalan autonomy will be intervened and this place becomes the Sunny Ulster.

I hope sanity wins out.

Heh - I assume you meant UDI.

DUI stands for "Driving under the influence". :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2017, 09:48:26 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2017, 02:31:44 AM

I hope sanity wins out.

Heh - I assume you meant UDI.

DUI stands for "Driving under the influence". :)

Yeah sorry, DUI is the Catalan acronym.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2017, 02:16:09 PM

Wrists are too bony.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Iormlund

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

So... we are reaching Monday. Any updates? Have they seen the light now?

Here in our usually "pro-Catalan" news in Quebec it was reported that a number of separatist groups are "spontaneously" assembling in Barcelona and other cities to "defende the independence of Catalonia".

celedhring

Quote from: Drakken on October 15, 2017, 05:59:24 PM
So... we are reaching Monday. Any updates? Have they seen the light now?

Here in our usually "pro-Catalan" news in Quebec it was reported that a number of separatist groups are "spontaneously" assembling in Barcelona and other cities to "defende the independence of Catalonia".

Rumour is that he's going to issue a "yes and no" answer to the "did you declare independence?" question, and appeal once again for dialogue (of which the only acceptable outcome is independence, as set today by the Catalan VP). Thus bouncing back the ball towards Madrid, who'd start triggering the intervention of the autonomy unless there's a formal retraction of the UDI by Thursday.

There's been some private gatherings of "Committees for the Defence of the Republic" to organize. There hasn't been any public demo in Barcelona yet, though.

Surprisingly, one of the most important separatist newspapers has come out today against the UDI, arguing that the social, economic and political damage would be too high (NO SHIT SHERLOCK). Too little too late, methinks.

celedhring

Also, the two heads of the two largest separatist NGOs and the head of the regional police are set again to appear before court in Madrid tomorrow under sedition charges. As usual, there's speculation of whether they'll make it back to Barcelona or will sleep behind bars. Personally, I'd be surprised if the judge decreed provisional detainment so early, but the whole thing is sealed so we don't know what kind of evidence the prosecution has provided.

celedhring

The Catalan President's answer has already been made public. He actually doesn't answer Madrid's request (not even with a "yes but no" he just skirts the issue in the 2-page document), but requests direct negotiations with Rajoy and/or international mediation, and demands to stop the "repression from the central government" (directly asking that Madrid stops ongoing court proceedings because, yay separation of powers).

I suppose in due time there will be an English translation of the document somewhere.

I'm all for negotiation (really), but the only negotiation from the separatist camp (as said by themselves repeteadly) is about how to remove the "U" from UDI. Something that Madrid just won't and shouldn't ever entertain.

celedhring

Looks like there's a good chance that the sedition lot will sleep in the joint tonight. If that's the case, everything will explode this week.