The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: viper37 on October 11, 2017, 04:21:09 PM
that's not really autonomy.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.

They already have autonomy. The Generalitat is very welcome to continue to run hospitals or any number of other tasks as it sees fit. It has however proven incapable of responsible administration of police, education and state media. Much less taxation.

When your kid throws a party while you're away and thrashes your house you don't buy him a new BMW.

In parallel, we can engage on dialogue on how to change our constitution with the representatives Catalonia chooses in new elections. Personally, as stated before, I'm all for a referendum provided it requires a qualified majority and is undertaken on a local level. And there's probably more like me. All Catalonian nationalists have to do is drop the victim bullshit and start convincing people.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2017, 03:57:29 PM
It's got to the point where the historical Catalan flag is slowly becoming an Unionist symbol.  :lol:

LULZ

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2017, 01:27:20 PM
:lol:

Man, you guys suck at quelling regional tension.

:lol:

Man, you guys suck at understanding regional tension.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on October 11, 2017, 03:33:59 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2017, 02:12:31 PM
I was asking of course because that was the attitude toward the ethnic non-Hungarians within Hungary before 1918, and then has been the attitude toward ethnic Hungarians across the borders after 1920.

Because of that, I find the "naive Spain feeding Catalan dragon" cartoons in bad taste, however silly the notion of independence is.

It's not a Catalan dragon, it's a separatist dragon. Though I admit the difference is easy to miss for a foreigner.

On the left Catalonia's flag. On the right the separatist flag:

[img]http://e01-mg]

Funny coincidence that north east Spain has the same traditional flag as north east England :bowler:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Our northeastern flags are big on pine trees.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on October 12, 2017, 07:49:12 AM
Funny coincidence that north east Spain has the same traditional flag as north east England :bowler:

You won't like that, but it's one of the reasons why I started following Newcastle United  :P

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2017, 08:19:12 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 12, 2017, 07:49:12 AM

You won't like that, but it's one of the reasons why I started following Newcastle United  :P
So you chose our Espanyol.
Sunderland at least stick close to the proper colours :contract: :p
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Espanyol are the Catalan mackems  :P

Truth is that I've been following the PL since the 1990s, and it's more exciting when you've got skin in the game. NUFC are hilarious to follow, plus Bobby Robson managed Barça and the Nortumbria flag was cool and all.

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2017, 08:31:06 AM

Truth is that I've been following the PL since the 1990s, and it's more exciting when you've got skin in the game. NUFC are hilarious to follow, plus Bobby Robson managed Barça and the Nortumbria flag was cool and all.
Futbol hijack, but man those Alan Shearer teams  :)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Iormlund

celedhring

Quote from: katmai on October 12, 2017, 08:56:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2017, 08:31:06 AM

Futbol hijack, but man those Alan Shearer teams  :)

Yeah, Shearer was ace. One of my favorite foreign footballers when I was a kid.

For somebody that doesn't give that much of a damn, NUFC are a great team to follow. The drama is ever-present (hilariously so), yet they have a history of good teams and footballers which gives them a decent tradition.

Josquius

Plus they're chaotic evil. That's always fun.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on October 12, 2017, 10:22:17 AM

The Orcs of the football world?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2017, 10:28:44 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 12, 2017, 10:22:17 AM

The Orcs of the football world?

Sort of.
But with lots of money. And humans in green paint joining their ranks in the quest for glory.
██████
██████
██████