The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2017, 03:22:00 PM

But they also just held a referendum with 90% voting for independence.

A sham referendum that was boycotted by 60% of the electorate. That proves nothing. The only thing that would prove that point would be to call for elections in Catalonia and get a truly massive win.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 04, 2017, 03:26:55 PM

Which was a total sham. There's a bunch of precincts that had over 100% turnout  :lol:

Actual elections show separatist parties topping at 48%. Which is a fucking lot and which has to be addressed somehow, but not to the point of imposing illegal independence on the rest of us.
In your opinion, assuming the Spanish government did not send in the police, the army, called Catalan politicians traitors and secessionists, would the result have been that high?  Could the seperatist parties even muster 48% of the vote?

Honest question.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2017, 04:14:34 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 04, 2017, 03:26:55 PM

Which was a total sham. There's a bunch of precincts that had over 100% turnout  :lol:

Actual elections show separatist parties topping at 48%. Which is a fucking lot and which has to be addressed somehow, but not to the point of imposing illegal independence on the rest of us.
In your opinion, assuming the Spanish government did not send in the police, the army, called Catalan politicians traitors and secessionists, would the result have been that high?  Could the seperatist parties even muster 48% of the vote?

They achieved that without nothing of the above happening. I'm talking about the 2012 and 2015 elections. They have a consistent ceiling of 1,800,000-1,900,000 votes.

celedhring

Looks like BancSabadell is going to up sticks. They have a board meeting this afternoon with the relocation on the table.

Maybe the solution to our conflict is becoming poor enough so that we remove the whole "wealthy people nationalism" aspect.

Josquius

I don't know the Spanish system. I guess it is more democratic so this rule applies less there.... But in the UK it's a big mistake to read support for nationalist parties at elections  as support for independence (or the opposite).

My company is doubling down on its Barcelona operations. No sign of a course change; a big move of jobs there has been going on for a while.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

When independence becomes the #1 issue in regional politics, I'd say it's not a big mistake to read it that way. In 2015 the nationalist parties (all of them) campaigned on a platform of an UDI if they reached 50%+1 of the vote. They got 48%.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/05/spanish-pm-mariano-rajoy-warns-of-greater-harm-from-catalonia-independence-plans

QuoteSpain suspends Catalan parliament session in attempt to block independence

Spain's constitutional court has suspended a Catalan parliament session planned for Monday in an attempt to block an expected declaration of independence by the Catalan president, Carles Puigdemont.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2017, 08:45:33 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/05/spanish-pm-mariano-rajoy-warns-of-greater-harm-from-catalonia-independence-plans

QuoteSpain suspends Catalan parliament session in attempt to block independence

Spain's constitutional court has suspended a Catalan parliament session planned for Monday in an attempt to block an expected declaration of independence by the Catalan president, Carles Puigdemont.

From the same article:

QuoteSpeaking ahead of Thursday's court decision, the Spanish prime minister, Mariano Rajoy, warned that the situation could escalate further if the Catalan government carried on the path of a unilateral declaration.

"Is there a solution? Yes, there is," Rajoy told the Spanish news agency Efe. "And the best one would be a return to legality and the swiftest possible confirmation that there won't be a unilateral independence declaration, because that way still greater harm could be avoided."

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2017, 09:05:22 AM
Any truth to this? :lol:

Not that I know. Tractors were used to close off roads this tuesday during the strike, but haven't heard any story of police being "trapped".

This is not the US, but fucking around with the police is hardly a good idea around here either.

derspiess

I know it's a tense situation and all, but that's kinda funny whether or not it's true.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2017, 11:08:50 AM
I know it's a tense situation and all, but that's kinda funny whether or not it's true.

I think that is the point. A good story will spread regardless of whether or not it is true and will help bolster separatist morale.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Pretty sure that's a Russian bot thing though. I can't see why Catalan separatists would spread memes in English. Plus my separatist friends constantly flood my social media timelines with that stuff (god, are they annoying), and it's the first time I see that one.

Admiral Yi

Any nasty arguments with your separatist buddies Celery?

Drakken

Madrid has officially announced it rejected any and all calls for mediation, without the Catalan government publicly backing down first and renouncing going for UDI.