The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

kind of late for the king to speak out against independence once they've already declared independence :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2017, 04:07:37 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2017, 04:00:02 PM
The Queen would have said something similar if Scotland had declared UDI.   :P

Except she didn't say anything like this during the Scots referendum.  And the Catalans, to date, haven't declared independence.

Wasn't the Scotland referendum a real referendum?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 03, 2017, 04:12:16 PM

Except she didn't say anything like this during the Scots referendum.  And the Catalans, to date, haven't declared independence.

Brexit was supposed to be an opinion poll...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

The king of spain must have felt really strongly. He probably canceled an elephant hunt or something.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2017, 04:21:33 PM

The king of spain must have felt really strongly. He probably canceled an elephant hunt or something.

The elephant hunter was his dad. He's a rare non-hunting Bourbon.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2017, 04:16:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 03, 2017, 04:12:16 PM

Brexit was supposed to be an opinion poll...

And AFAIK that one didn't "undermine the rules approved legally and legitimately" either.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

I was trying to press one of your plaid buttons, get you all conflicted, hence the  :P

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 03, 2017, 01:50:49 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 03, 2017, 12:22:52 PM
. With very narrow margins, separatists are putting in jeopardy their economic future.

I cannot think of many countries that haven't been willing to pay the economic price to either achieve their independence, or to keep it.
East Germany reunited for among others economic reasons.

Drakken

From BBC:
In his first interview since the referendum, Carles Puigdemont said his government would "act at the end of this week or the beginning of next".

When asked what he would do if the Spanish government were to intervene and take control of Catalonia's government, Mr Puigdemont said it would be "an error which changes everything".

Mr Puigdemont said there was currently no contact between the government in Madrid and his devolved administration.

celedhring

Quote from: Drakken on October 03, 2017, 04:25:49 PM
From BBC:
In his first interview since the referendum, Carles Puigdemont said his government would "act at the end of this week or the beginning of next".

When asked what he would do if the Spanish government were to intervene and take control of Catalonia's government, Mr Puigdemont said it would be "an error which changes everything".

Mr Puigdemont said there was currently no contact between the government in Madrid and his devolved administration.

I guess unilateral independence changes nothing then!  :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2017, 03:45:44 PM
Quote from: Drakken on October 03, 2017, 02:53:11 PM
From CNN:

QuoteIn a televised statement, King Felipe said the referendum's organizers had jeopardized national stability. "With their decisions, they have systematically undermined the rules approved legally and legitimately, showing an unacceptable disloyalty towards the powers of the state -- a state that represents Catalan interests," he said.

This... feels like a mistake.
I think it is in this context. The King should have tried a polite way to diffuse the situation, not assign blame to one side in public.  In private, he could have scolded the independantists, even insulted them. But in public like that, it will only give more credence to the radicals and isolate the moderates.

I hope this does not turn into a civil war, but I fear it's leading to that. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

You know Kings cannot speak without the advice of their Prime Ministers, right Viper?

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on October 03, 2017, 04:25:43 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 03, 2017, 01:50:49 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 03, 2017, 12:22:52 PM
. With very narrow margins, separatists are putting in jeopardy their economic future.

I cannot think of many countries that haven't been willing to pay the economic price to either achieve their independence, or to keep it.
East Germany reunited for among others economic reasons.
they didn't exactly declare independance of their own volition...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on October 03, 2017, 04:37:44 PM
You know Kings cannot speak without the advice of their Prime Ministers, right Viper?
No, I don't.  I don't know the Spanish political system, I only studied the French, American and German political system in school.  Not that I remember that much of the German system anyway. 
But he could have refused to speak or advised the PM on doing something else.

And I'm not taking any sides eithers.  All I hope for is a peaceful resolution of the current troubles, without blood.

celedhring

The King's speeches are all monitored by the government. He won't say anything that he doesn't want to say, but he also won't say anything that the government doesn't want him to say.