The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Bad timing for Catalunya really. Brexit is occupying Europe's attention at the moment and they can't be dealing with this.
Independent Catalunya in the EU is perfectly viable. Catalunya cut off from Spain and the rest of Europe...haha no.
Though apparently there are mutterings from idiots about them hooking up with the UK and Barcelona playing in the premier league :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2017, 11:01:00 AM
Brexit is occupying Europe's attention at the moment

That really is not my impression. The EU negotiators are quite clearly holding the UK by the balls, can't see EU officials sweating over that one.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on October 03, 2017, 11:06:17 AM
Brexit is occupying Europe's attention at the moment

That really is not my impression. The EU negotiators are quite clearly holding the UK by the balls, can't see EU officials sweating over that one.
OK. Rephrase.
As far as the EU is concerned with exceptional incidents (not very. Most of their time goes to standard operations), Brexit is occupying their attention.

And yep. The EU has  the UK by the balls...however it is doing this whilst the UK dangles off the edge of a cliff. It'd rather not drop the UK as much as the UK is trying its best to be dropped.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Though apparently there are mutterings from idiots about them hooking up with the UK and Barcelona playing in the premier league :lol:

This calls for a poll!

celedhring

Last time we allied with the Brits in a conflict against the rest of Spain they left us in the lurch.

Iormlund

There are already videos circulating of violence between teenagers from both sides. Plus any protracted strike will lead to separatist violence.

By cutting the supply lines (highways) the movement has managed to halt the production of recently launched Ibiza and Arona at Seat Martorell. Ahh, to be a fly on the wall when Puigdemont got the call from Herr Volkswagen...  :lol:
Nissan is also partially stopped, and many Tier 1s and 2s probably share the same fate. Auto industry makes up 8% of Catalonia's GDP. With very narrow margins, separatists are putting in jeopardy their economic future.

Caixabank, Bank Sabadell, Gas Natural/Fenosa and every other company with big interests in Spain are probably enacting contingency plans as we speak to move their operations and taxes to Madrid or elsewhere in the EU. Grifols, for many years an independentist rolemodel, already shifted their financial operations to Ireland.

celedhring

I really don't think the regional government controls this anymore. The separatist orgs have taken over. These frantic calls are surely happening, but are probably being answered with shrugging of shoulders.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on October 03, 2017, 12:32:01 PM
I really don't think the regional government controls this anymore. The separatist orgs have taken over. These frantic calls are surely happening, but are probably being answered with shrugging of shoulders.

If you just shrug your shoulders when Herr Volkswagen is chewing your ass, you have a BIG problem.

[edit] To further elaborate, and speaking from personal professional experience: VW is not going to be that mad if you have a problem, as long as you have a clear action plan behind it. Shit happens.
But if you have no control over the situation, they will start looking for a plan B. You really don't want to be in that position.

Drakken

Given the circumstances and Catalonia's suicide as a state with any relevant power, I vote for renaming this thread The shit jumps and falls manly on the fan.

Admiral Yi

Spanish ETF is remarkably unaffected.  Down maybe 2%.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Iormlund on October 03, 2017, 12:22:52 PM
. With very narrow margins, separatists are putting in jeopardy their economic future.

I cannot think of many countries that haven't been willing to pay the economic price to either achieve their independence, or to keep it.

Iormlund

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 03, 2017, 01:50:49 PM
. With very narrow margins, separatists are putting in jeopardy their economic future.

I cannot think of many countries that haven't been willing to pay the economic price to either achieve their independence, or to keep it.

How many have accepted to pay this economic price to leave a liberal democracy?

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on October 03, 2017, 01:54:55 PM

We live under a fascist dictatorship, haven't you heard?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Iormlund on October 03, 2017, 01:54:55 PM

irrelevant.

Drakken

Quote from: celedhring on October 03, 2017, 02:20:41 PM

We live under a fascist dictatorship, haven't you heard?

Have you checked on Generalissimo Francisco Franco lately? Last time we enquired about his health, long time ago, he was still dead. We have forgotten him a bit since then, so maybe he is feeling better?