The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Just landed in Barcelona this morning, so far nobody has asked me for my passport. :sleep:

Flag sellers must have made a killing lately.

Iormlund

Gf had her first conflict at work. All the rest wanted to shut down the place completely for the week.

Told her to talk to her boss. She'll be working from home tomorrow.

HVC

what's the reasoning behind the striking?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

A show of force. The Generalitat has also made sure tomorrow is as chaotic as possible by giving a paid holiday to every public employee.  :rolleyes:

SEAT (part of VW group) has already come against the strike. Devious little bastards. I need to build stock. :glare:

Valmy

Well this situation sure has gone to shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I read a comment somewhere that simply this is simply old reflexes, the kind of response Spanish politicians learned from the time of dealing with the Basques. Only difference is, we now have the Internet and mobile cameras.

Is that a valid assessment?

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on October 02, 2017, 11:58:53 AM
I read a comment somewhere that simply this is simply old reflexes, the kind of response Spanish politicians learned from the time of dealing with the Basques. Only difference is, we now have the Internet and mobile cameras.

It is not. Riot police actions in the Basque Country usually involved the regional police charging against small groups of actual rioters breaking/burning stuff.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2017, 10:32:05 AM
A show of force. The Generalitat has also made sure tomorrow is as chaotic as possible by giving a paid holiday to every public employee.  :rolleyes:

SEAT (part of VW group) has already come against the strike. Devious little bastards. I need to build stock. :glare:

Apparently there's also a 10-day subway strike. What's the aim here? I really can't see the line linking "pissing everybody off" with "support for independence"  :D

Fortunately I work from home and I don't have any more scheduled meetings this week.

Iormlund

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on October 02, 2017, 11:58:53 AM

The Basques never did something like this. It's new territory.

It must be said that Euskadi is quite different. The situation there was orders of magnitude worse for decades. As in always looking behind your back and under your car.
The situation there is cooler now, still dominated by the business-friendly conservatives, whose votes Rajoy needs to pass the budget. And they do have control over taxes, which is what precipitated this whole thing.

Crazy_Ivan80

If only the PP hadn't asked the courts to gut the 2006 autonomy-agreement then. That seems to be the event that sparks the events leading up to now.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 02, 2017, 12:27:10 PM
If only the PP hadn't asked the courts to gut the 2006 autonomy-agreement then. That seems to be the event that sparks the events leading up to now.

2006? You are kind of reaching there aren't you?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2017, 12:11:19 PM
The subway is always on strike anyway.  :lol:
you inherited more than a King from the French?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2017, 12:34:40 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2017, 12:11:19 PM
The subway is always on strike anyway.  :lol:
you inherited more than a King from the French?

The French are hardly unique in Europe about this sort of thing.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2017, 12:31:54 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 02, 2017, 12:27:10 PM

2006? You are kind of reaching there aren't you?

To which Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia do you think he should refer?

You do know the history of the 2006 statute, right?  I mean, you'd not accuse CI of reaching unless you understood the situation and had a better alternative, right?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!