The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 01, 2017, 03:39:17 PM
The EU won't be coming out of this unscathed either.

What's the EU got to do with this? :huh:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 03:42:27 PM

well, beating up people doing their civic duty (namely voting) is quite problematic. The EU likes to tell countries far and wide that they shouldn't be engaging in such -potentially entertaining- activities. This time it's a member engaging in said activity. There's now a certain amount of credibility at stake.
Expect Putin, Erdogan and other paragons of democracy to chime in shortly.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2017, 02:51:21 PM
There are already precincts reporting more votes than people actually live there. It's hilarious.
I read that some people voted in other districts since the Spanish government blocked entry to some polls.  that could account for some discrepancy in the vote.

But it's hard ot make it legit, no matter the result, in these circumstances.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 03:24:27 PM
If you are against the independence then voting only hurts your position. It gives the process legitimacy.
If you are against independance, then you should vote and encourage others to vote, to give the process legitimacy and burry the idea for a while, maybe eve extinguish it for more than a generation.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Iormlund

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 01, 2017, 03:52:27 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 03:42:27 PM

well, beating up people doing their civic duty (namely voting) is quite problematic. The EU likes to tell countries far and wide that they shouldn't be engaging in such -potentially entertaining- activities. This time it's a member engaging in said activity. There's now a certain amount of credibility at stake.
Expect Putin, Erdogan and other paragons of democracy to chime in shortly.

Oh for fucks sake!

As stupid as today's shit has been, it was largely carried out with extreme professionalism. Especially when compared with the way the police were kicking ass just a few years back. I didn't see shit coming from anyone back then, perhaps you remember differently.

Here, check out how the Mossos defend themselves against a couple of teenagers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFulH9I3buQ

Iormlund

Quote from: viper37 on October 01, 2017, 03:57:06 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 03:24:27 PM
If you are against the independence then voting only hurts your position. It gives the process legitimacy.
If you are against independance, then you should vote and encourage others to vote, to give the process legitimacy and burry the idea for a while, maybe eve extinguish it for more than a generation.

:lol:
That's not how things work over here. They would just keep on voting until the result was "right".

Drakken

Iormlund

Quote from: Drakken on October 01, 2017, 04:05:57 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2017, 03:36:47 PM
Catalan president announces UDI in the next few days.

What. The. Hell.

He didn't even wait till the results were in, did he?

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 04:07:27 PM
Quote from: Drakken on October 01, 2017, 04:05:57 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2017, 03:36:47 PM
Catalan president announces UDI in the next few days.

What. The. Hell.

He didn't even wait till the results were in, did he?

He just said that the would "apply the result" of the referendum, which nobody doubts is going to something silly like 85% yes  :lol:

Iormlund

I like an idea I saw elsewhere (FC): Rajoy and Puigdemont hired a telenovela writer and decided to go with his script. :lmfao:

Drakken

Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 04:20:19 PM
I like an idea I saw elsewhere (FC): Rajoy and Puigdemont hired a telenovela writer and decided to go with his script. :lmfao:

By this point I am hoping for a Deus Ex Machina cameo of King Felipe sweeping in to say it was all a dream.

viper37

Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 04:05:34 PM
:lol:
That's not how things work over here. They would just keep on voting until the result was "right".
I've heard federalists say that all my lives.

After the last referendum was won by the NO side with a very slim margin, there were lots of boasting from the seperatists they would do it again.  The talk is there, but it never happens.  People have gone elsewhere for now, as soon as the Federal government started treating them with respect.

Of course, it could come back.  But for now, the Seperatist party at the Federal level has but a few MPs and the provincial seperatist party, the only one who could hold a referendum is 3rd in the voting polls and has sworn not to do a referendum in the first mandate.

No political party likes to lose.  If Spain had allowed a referendum despite the Constitution, found a way to allow a vote on the independance issue, agree to the rules beforehand, it's unlikely there would have been a seperatist victory from what you tell me, and it seems doubtufl they could make a comeback referendum before half a generation, unless some unforseen change, like a Spexit.

celedhring

The Regional Government will go forward with the UDI unless some of the moderates (if they are still there) get sweaty. Then the central government will suspend the autonomy, bring in the troops, and we'll become a more sunny version of the Ulster. Oh joy!

I guess the separatists plan on the ensuing fire and crimson to force Europe's hand. Feels so good to be a political human shield.

Drakken

Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2017, 04:31:04 PM
The Regional Government will go forward with the UDI unless some of the moderates (if they are still there) get sweaty. Then the central government will suspend the autonomy, bring in the troops, and we'll become a more sunny version of the Ulster. Oh joy!

I guess the separatists plan on the ensuing fire and crimson to force Europe's hand. Feels so good to be a political human shield.

Nah, you are being paranoid. We are not 1981 anymore and Spain is now a democratic, stable coun... oh wait.

Iormlund

Sending in the troops would be a truly terrible idea. Of course, this is Rajoy we are talking about. Just freeze money transfers, imprison Puigdemont & Co (at night if possible) and replace the leaders of the Mossos.

I'm still hoping for a general strike. I maintain that it's the best way to test how committed the separatists are.

Of course it would also help me quite a bit, but that's beside the point.  :P