The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: chipwich on October 01, 2017, 06:29:40 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2017, 05:01:00 PM

So you have it as a consultative referendum.

Lets have a referendum to bring back the Confederacy and make black people slaves again.

Don't worry it's just consultative.

I don't think Marti analogies are helpful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

FC Barcelona has apparently asked for today's match to be postponed.

It would be for the best, I think, unless you want to inflame the situation further.

Iormlund

Hey Celed, what's going on with the Mossos today?

Are they active at all? One has to wonder if all this shit is a way to justify their dissolution.

celedhring

They have shut down several polling stations in low-intensity areas (nearly 200, according to themselves), but done nothing when faced with nominal resistance from people inside. I think they wanted to nominally follow court orders without entering into full on street combat. I guess we'll know in the following days whether they actually disobeyed orders or not. I went past two of them watching a polling station earlier, and they looked really anxious.

I think we are on the road of becoming the new Ulster - with less violence. I just can't see any path to compromise right now. Yahoo!

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Jesus. Police is using force, with soft bullets against demonstrators. 337 people have been wounded, 3 grievously.

Who told me I was being paranoid again?

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2017, 07:33:17 AM
They have shut down several polling stations in low-intensity areas (nearly 200, according to themselves), but done nothing when faced with nominal resistance from people inside. I think they wanted to nominally follow court orders without entering into full on street combat. I guess we'll know in the following days whether they actually disobeyed orders or not. I went past two of them watching a polling station earlier, and they looked really anxious.

I think we are on the road of becoming the new Ulster - with less violence. I just can't see any path to compromise right now. Yahoo!

Stay calm and out of trouble. This sounds terrible and for an outsider like me utterly confusing. I didn't understand why the local government was going ahead with this, but the central government's apparent eagerness to escalate seems much more unjustified.

Iormlund

Quote from: Drakken on October 01, 2017, 08:23:10 AM
Jesus. Police is using force, with soft bullets against demonstrators. 337 people have been wounded, 3 grievously.

Who told me I was being paranoid again?

It's not that bad, all things considered. There's probably a couple million people on the streets today.

Tamas

Also what was the Spanish football association thinking not allowing the cancellation of today's Barcelona match? Is it some kind of Spanish custom to have a civil war every generation?

Iormlund

Regional police have stated everything is fine, regarding security for the match.

katmai

Cr Ah the Catalans! Only the Basque deserve autonomy!

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 08:59:31 AM
Regional police have stated everything is fine, regarding security for the match.

Which is baffling, since supporter groups threatened to invade the pitch and prevent the game from taking place.

At least we're playing closed doors. I hope there isn't violence outside the pitch.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2017, 08:55:18 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2017, 07:33:17 AM

Stay calm and out of trouble. This sounds terrible and for an outsider like me utterly confusing. I didn't understand why the local government was going ahead with this, but the central government's apparent eagerness to escalate seems much more unjustified.

Yeah, I mean I'm generally against independent movements but if this is how the central government reacts to a vote it doesn't want...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2017, 09:09:40 AM
Yeah, I mean I'm generally against independent movements but if this is how the central government reacts to a vote it doesn't want...

With patriots like those in the ruling party, I'm not sure Spain needs more enemies.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2017, 05:12:47 AM
Limits to fiscal transfers are completely idiotic. Transfers are a function of demographics.

not limiting transfers is idiotic, else you'll have regions that don't get their finances in order for decades on end. And would be stupid to get them in order as it'll reduce the money they get. Cases in point: Brussels, Wallonia.

A nation has right to decide how the fruits of it's labours are spent. All the fruits.

regardless: nice images coming out of Spain. Reminds me of Venezuela, or maybe Turkey. Or some other state with issues.