The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on May 13, 2022, 02:32:55 AMhttps://twitter.com/OCCRP/status/1523409485364039682

Apparently Russia offered 10k troops to the Catalonian independence movement in '17...

This has been known for a while, tbf, but it has gained traction after this journalist group published their findings.

The offers from the alleged Russian agent were so fantastical (also €500b in funding) that my personal opinion is that Puigdemont et al were being had.

The Larch

Yeah, both the offer of troops and the amount of money being talked about were coompletely fanciful.

celedhring

Some of the fringe elements of Catalan separatism are prone to these flights of geopolitical fancy. There was also a proposal to sell the harbor of Tarragona to China to get their help in exchange for a Mediterranean port.

But yeah, the whole affair feels it was just a few steps away from "I need your credit card number before I can transfer you the Nigerian inheritance troops"

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 13, 2022, 03:40:31 AMSome of the fringe elements of Catalan separatism are prone to these flights of geopolitical fancy. There was also a proposal to sell the harbor of Tarragona to China to get their help in exchange for a Mediterranean port.

Oh yeah, the whole "let's whore ourselves out to China to get our freedom", argument. So brilliant, much coherent.

QuoteBut yeah, the whole affair feels it was just a few steps away from "I need your credit card number before I can transfer you the Nigerian inheritance troops"

That was bound to happen once cryptocurrencies entered the conversation.  :lol:  :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on May 13, 2022, 03:40:31 AMSome of the fringe elements of Catalan separatism are prone to these flights of geopolitical fancy. There was also a proposal to sell the harbor of Tarragona to China to get their help in exchange for a Mediterranean port.

But yeah, the whole affair feels it was just a few steps away from "I need your credit card number before I can transfer you the Nigerian inheritance troops"

I'd expect the scam was along the lines of of promising the world to encourage you to take radical destabilizing action that we can leverage in various ways.

celedhring

In other news, after being "absolved" of several counts of financial crime (essentially, he got off because of royal immunity), Ex-king Juan Carlos wants to go back to Spain and take residence at the royal palace of La Zarzuela. His son and current king allegedly wants nothing of the sort (it would further damage the beleaguered prestige of the Crown).

I feel like in the XIXth century this would have ended in a civil war  :P