The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Meritxell Serret, one of the Catalan ministers that fled to Belgium in 2017, has returned to Spain and turned herself in. It's been pretty clear for a while that she wouldn't be facing jail time (the 2019 sentence excluded her department from actively working in organizing the referendum, and the Supreme Court had dropped her arrest warrant), so I wonder why she hadn't done it before.

She still faces 18 months of barring from office for her role in passing the independence decrees, but that's about it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2021, 04:07:21 AM
So some guys take some Covid shots on the side and a few days later the conservative space in Spain is exploding.
So is it for the other parties to negotiate a coalition or do they generally go to elections?

And what's motivating it from Cs? Are they belatedly trying to recover their reputation after going into government - I think in at least a couple of regions - with the PP, relying on the support of Vox?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 05:39:07 AM
So some guys take some Covid shots on the side and a few days later the conservative space in Spain is exploding.
So is it for the other parties to negotiate a coalition or do they generally go to elections?

And what's motivating it from Cs? Are they belatedly trying to recover their reputation after going into government - I think in at least a couple of regions - with the PP, relying on the support of Vox?

When it's the opposition filing the motion of no confidence, they have to agree to a candidate and vote him/her in. No election is triggered.

And yeah, Cs is probably trying to shake things up after their dismal electoral results and trying to appear more centrist. Meanwhile PP are smelling blood and are trying to devour them.

I think it's a risky move both for PP and Cs to openly go to war. With Cs gone, PP will find itself having to deal with Vox directly (so far they have avoided including them in any government), and Cs can easily become irrelevant.

The thing with Cs is that they are trying to appeal the voters they pissed off with their flirting with the far right, and will imho instead just piss off the voters that stayed with them when they did it.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 05:39:07 AM

Do you mean in Murcia or in Madrid? In Murcia, if the motion of no-confidence is successful (which it should, as Cs + PSOE would have a majority, but you can never rule out defections in these situations) a new regional president put forward by the promoters of the motion is installed, in this case the Cs candidate. In Madrid they might have a bit of legal wrangling before they decide what takes precedence, if the dissolution of the chamber or the motions of no-confindence presented.

QuoteAnd what's motivating it from Cs? Are they belatedly trying to recover their reputation after going into government - I think in at least a couple of regions - with the PP, relying on the support of Vox?

Theoretically the Murcia thing is a strictly regional affair, with no intended repercussions elsewhere (Cs representatives stated that they had no plans for such motions in other regions where they govern in coalition with PP, such as Andalucía), but it's pretty obvious that PP will now have trust issues, which in Madrid were taken to the extreme (theirs was always an uneasy alliance there, as the regional president, a fairly controversial subject, always felt much more comfortable dealing with Vox than with Cs, and it seems that she was ready to concede a key issue to Vox in the regional budget that Cs had stated that they'd never support no matter what).

Now, in broader terms, Cs had to do something, almost anything, to prevent being completely swallowed by PP, which was the likeliest outcome in the current situation, and this move might have been it. By switching from supporting PP to working with PSOE they can try to show that they can work both with parties to their right and left and thus become a key ally for governance almost in every single government in the country, from the local (another no-confidence motion was presented for the Murcia city hall) to the regional and national. Now it remains to be seen if Cs can weather the storm (there had already been some indiscreet rumours about some of their leaders flirting with openly joining PP soon, in a clear case of rats jumping a sinking ship) and retain their core electorate without loosing much from their right flank.

celedhring

I love that the Madrid regional parliament refuses to consider itself dissolved. I really really want this to take an English turn and somehow end up with a deposed monarch (we can dispense with the beheading  :P).

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2021, 07:12:16 AM
I love that the Madrid regional parliament refuses to consider itself dissolved. I really really want this to take an English turn and somehow end up with a deposed monarch (we can dispense with the beheading  :P).

It seems they've now accepted the dissolution, but not the call for new elections.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2021, 07:12:16 AM
Coward :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2021, 06:01:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 10, 2021, 05:26:54 PM
I don't recall a single real fight in all of my average elementary school (Denmark) or sort of poshish but still public high school (Canada). There was some bullying in elementary school (one girl had to transfer out because the other girls were mean to her, though it went completely over my head) and I'm sure people were shits to one another in high school too, but nothing that's even remotely near the "common wisdom" of the internet with kids fighting and bullying each other as an inescapable fact of life. I mean, I never even once heard of anyone getting in a fight at school, even as a rumour.
Yeah - similar I never saw any fights in my comprehensive state schools. There was some bullying for sure, but it was not violent - I don't remember any fights.

I kind of love high school films but always wonder if American high schools are how they're depicted because it is crazy :lol: :ph34r:

I am really surprised by all of you guys having a peaceful schools.  Fighting and bullying were endemic at my school.  First day of middle school (6th grade) someone on the bus threw my bookbag out of the window and smashed one of my friends in the face with lock.  Once, in sixth grade some bullies trapped a kid in the bathroom and stomped on him till one of his testicles ruptured.  Kid never came back.  In 7th grade a kid pushed me and tripped me at the same time causing me to go down and break my arm.  I got the shit kicked out of me pretty much every day.  Sanity started going downhill at that point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Yeah, I can't imagine a school without fighting.
Its less in bullying that I saw fighting, that tends to be rather more psychological, any physical bullying would be cracked down on hard. This often led to weird stuff where young kids would bully much bigger older kids, almost hoping he'd snap and smack the shit out of them.
Rather fighting was usually seen, in boys, to see who is hardest and gain kudos from there.
In girls its due to petty bullshit, to do their best to murder the slag who did something or other to insult their name.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

There was no proper fighting at the schools I was at. Occasional little squabbles maybe. Also, don't recall any bullying going on in my classes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

No real fighting at the schools I went to either, just the occasional flare-up due to someone losing their temper. There was a lot of banter>piss-taking>verbal bullying; most of that occurring in the same year group with the younger and older years more or less ignored.

Duque de Bragança

More or less as Richard and Syt. By high school, fighting was extremely rare. I only recall one event, in which I was not involved, during physical education nonetheless.
Elementary and middle school had more push and shoving, some kicks (no roundhouse kicks or mawashi geri of course) so no real fighting.

As for bullying, mostly psychological I guess, since most wannabe bullies would understand when pushed against a wall. Some would still manage to put the blame on the potential victim.

Taunts and trash talking, yes. A common trend linked them to the fortunes and vicissitudes of supported football teams.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2021, 09:00:40 AM
I don't recall a single real fight in all of my average elementary school (Denmark) or sort of poshish but still public high school (Canada). There was some bullying in elementary school (one girl had to transfer out because the other girls were mean to her, though it went completely over my head) and I'm sure people were shits to one another in high school too, but nothing that's even remotely near the "common wisdom" of the internet with kids fighting and bullying each other as an inescapable fact of life. I mean, I never even once heard of anyone getting in a fight at school, even as a rumour.
Yeah - similar I never saw any fights in my comprehensive state schools. There was some bullying for sure, but it was not violent - I don't remember any fights.

I kind of love high school films but always wonder if American high schools are how they're depicted because it is crazy :lol: :ph34r:

I am really surprised by all of you guys having a peaceful schools.  Fighting and bullying were endemic at my school.  First day of middle school (6th grade) someone on the bus threw my bookbag out of the window and smashed one of my friends in the face with lock.  Once, in sixth grade some bullies trapped a kid in the bathroom and stomped on him till one of his testicles ruptured.  Kid never came back.  In 7th grade a kid pushed me and tripped me at the same time causing me to go down and break my arm.  I got the shit kicked out of me pretty much every day.  Sanity started going downhill at that point.

:(

Raz, that's bad.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Elementary school was pretty peaceful, and i went to 4 :D. high school was hit or miss. the first one I went to was peaceful. but it was a new school the collected a bunch of farm kids. Second high school was in the city, and much larger. two thousand kids. that one had a few fights. nothing major and most blew over. the one thing i do remember is the few girl fights. those were scary. no rules. head stomping was normal.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on March 11, 2021, 12:46:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2021, 09:00:40 AM

:(

Raz, that's bad.

That is terrible Raz.  :(