Bangladesh destroyed by biblical flood. 1/3rd of country under water

Started by jimmy olsen, September 01, 2017, 05:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

It wasn't an attack on you Valmy. Syt wasn't saying people care more about Texas than Bangladesh, he said they cared more about their celebrities and TV shows than Bangladesh.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2017, 08:26:30 PM
It wasn't an attack on you Valmy. Syt wasn't saying people care more about Texas than Bangladesh, he said they cared more about their celebrities and TV shows than Bangladesh.
It wasn't an attack on anyone in particular, but it was a sanctimonious post deserving of an  :rolleyes: or five.  Whether Syt threatens to leave or not doesn't change that.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on September 01, 2017, 10:34:55 PM
It wasn't an attack on anyone in particular, but it was a sanctimonious post deserving of an  :rolleyes: or five.  Whether Syt threatens to leave or not doesn't change that.

It was not making light of Texas' plight and that was what Valmy took issue with.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on September 02, 2017, 12:22:08 AM

It was not making light of Texas' plight and that was what Valmy took issue with.

The accusation that they do not care because the Bangladeshi one involved brown people sort of implied they only care about what is going on here because of a lower percentage of brown people involved. If that was not his intent it was a poorly timed statement.

In any case I will apologize to Syt when/if he comes back to the forum.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Agelastus on September 01, 2017, 01:26:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2017, 05:19:12 AM
Horrific! :weep:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/01/asia/bangladesh-south-asia-floods/index.html

The IFRC has described the flooding in Bangladesh as the most serious in 40 years. The organization estimates that 700,000 homes have been partially or totally destroyed and up to a third of its terrain -- much of it farmland -- left submerged, raising fears of a coming food shortage, as the country grapples to deal with a shortfall in staple produce.

I think this page (with the normal proviso for accuracy given it's Wikipedia, of course) gives a reason why sympathy for the Bangladeshis, while present, does not equal the heights you might expect. Familiarity tends to have a deadening effect even with the best will in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_in_Bangladesh#Historic_floods

Bangladeshi flooding is a problem without a solution even in a world without global warming.

Or rather, one solution - resettle the people living in the flood plains to higher ground;unfortunately, the nearest higher ground happens to be in India.

The Netherlands is also quite prone to flooding.  I think they mostly fixed it without abandoning the country. 

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on September 02, 2017, 03:04:17 AM

The IFRC has described the flooding in Bangladesh as the most serious in 40 years. The organization estimates that 700,000 homes have been partially or totally destroyed and up to a third of its terrain -- much of it farmland -- left submerged, raising fears of a coming food shortage, as the country grapples to deal with a shortfall in staple produce.

I think this page (with the normal proviso for accuracy given it's Wikipedia, of course) gives a reason why sympathy for the Bangladeshis, while present, does not equal the heights you might expect. Familiarity tends to have a deadening effect even with the best will in the world.

Bangladeshi flooding is a problem without a solution even in a world without global warming.

Or rather, one solution - resettle the people living in the flood plains to higher ground;unfortunately, the nearest higher ground happens to be in India.

The Netherlands is also quite prone to flooding.  I think they mostly fixed it without abandoning the country.

They are extremely tall.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2017, 12:54:44 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 02, 2017, 12:22:08 AM

The accusation that they do not care because the Bangladeshi one involved brown people sort of implied they only care about what is going on here because of a lower percentage of brown people involved. If that was not his intent it was a poorly timed statement.

In any case I will apologize to Syt when/if he comes back to the forum.

I simply stated the fact that people tend to care more about people they know and relate to - family, friends, community, city, country, similar countries etc., hence people here would be unlikely to care. I see now I could have worded it less pointed. My apologies if I offended anyone, it was not my intent. The reactions have been instructive, though.

That said, I do take my leave. I just don't feel like I belong in this place anymore. It's been one hell of a ride, and I met a lot of wonderful and a few reprehensible people on these forums. But over the last years I enjoyed coming here less and less. I refer you to my post from last year in TBR.

I will mark my account for deletion and would appreciate if a mod/admin could delete it for me. Thank you all! :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Hey Syt I am under a bit of stress here. I am really sorry if I lashed out I did not mean to drive you away.

You are one of my favorite posters I did not intend for it to be personal or whatever. I mean people say shit here all the time.

Ah well I guess I have to live with this then. It has been really nice having you as my friend and fellow Languishite and I will miss you.

jimmy olsen

Oh, don't leave Syt. :(

You've always been a wonderful addition to the forum. I really enjoyed meeting you in Vienna.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 02, 2017, 03:04:17 AM

The Netherlands doesn't have a yearly monsoon that floods you from one direction when it arrives and then floods you from the other direction a few days/weeks later. Bangladesh's problem is relatively more serious than the Netherlands.

Bangladesh gets at least the equivalent of the 1953 North Sea Storm Surge every year; in a lot of years it gets a lot worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1953

Following which, of course, is the flooding from the other direction as the rainfall causes the Ganges and the Brahmaputra to surge - roughly 2/3 of the Ganges Delta is in Bangladesh, and roughly half the land area of Bangladesh is this delta.

It's not just that Bangladesh can't afford adequate defences - I'm not convinced given the experience the USA has had with the Mississippi and it's delta over the last couple of decades that adequate defences could be built given the yearly scale of the problem in Bangladesh.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Ok so:

Syt made a comment that while was a bit holier than thou, it was a valid point.

Then Valmy takes it as a personal attack and counters it with a I Have a Hurricane in my State bash.

Then Syt has a meltdown and leaves.

Wow, guys, get a grip, will you?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.